Abraham Lincoln

by Carlos from Colorado

<a href=http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Images/GrantPark/AbrahamLincolnGP-002.jpg>Abraham Lincoln</a>
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln was an American president who was born in Hodgenville, Kentucky on February 12, 1809, in a cabin. He grew up poor spending most of his time on a farm, but when he started getting older, his father taught him how to cut wood with his axe. With that skill he made money. Abraham Lincoln is a hero because he saved a lot of people from being slaves.

Abraham Lincoln is a hero to a lot of people because he was not elected his first time he ran for something, he had to keep trying until he finally got elected in 1860.

When Lincoln was finally president he did not want the southern states to secede. Yet the states did. During the Civil War, 620,000 Americans died.

Abraham Lincoln was the president during the Civil War. He wanted to reunite the southern states and northern nations together. His kindness, wit, and ability to express great truths in words so that every one could understand made him “Honest Abe”.

His main purpose of fighting the Civil War was to keep all of the states together. Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, where in 1863 he defined democracy by saying it should be “government of the people, by the people, and for the people”. Abraham Lincoln died on April 14, 1865. He was shot by John Wilkes Booth who was mad because the South had lost. That is why I think Abraham Lincoln is a hero.

wikipedia - all his information
white house - a lot of information
historyplace - information about every year