Alicia Alonso

by McKinzie from Raleigh

(http://www.danceanddance.com/dancers/Alicia_Alonso.jpg)

Alicia Alonso was born December 21, 1920 in Havana, Cuba, and is one of the most aspiring dancers. She is an amazing performer even with her disability. She was born with a detached retina and was told not to dance. Despite what she heard she still went out and danced. She became the most respected dancer in Cuba. She inspires people all around the world that they can do what they love, no matter what. She has shown everyone that she can dance even though she is at a disadvantage.

She has won over eleven awards in her dancing career, including the Grand Prix de la Ville de Paris in 1966. Even though she was partly blind she still was able to do what she loved and was rewarded for it. She also received various recognitions, one being that she received an international homage in Paris, organized by UNESCO. UNESCO is an organization that is used to promote peace and security through education. She was not only an amazing dancer, but a good person as well.

Alicia is a great dancer who was strong enough to defy everything doctors and other people told her about dancing. She even opened her own ballet school that she ran herself. Although she did have many financial problems she still pulled through. While she still owned the company she traveled all around the world dancing in various productions. Though a few years later a dictator came into power and she had to give up her business.

Alicia Alonso not only inspires disabled people to do what they love, but others as well. She shows everyone that you don’t have to listen to what others tell you if you really do think that you can do something. She accomplished many things in her lifetime and has all of them to be proud of. Alicia led a fantastic, inspiring life that I think people should know about and see as encouragement to do what they love.

Alicia Alonso - UNESCO Biography