Alexa Chung

by Kelli from Mission Viejo

“I don't do fashion, I am fashion.” ~ Coco Chanel
Alex Chung posing for the Nylon photoshoot. (http://i33.tinypic.com/1y2tmp.jpg)

My hero is Alexa Chung. She became my hero when I first saw her on the television, hosting her show “It’s On With Alexa Chung”. I saw her beauty, her fashion sense, and wanted to know more about her. Alexa has many characteristics and careers that I would like to do as well. She wanted to be a journalist when she was younger, like me. Alexa has even written for VOGUE magazine, which is very inspiring. She modeled when she was younger, as did I. My hero grew up and lived in England, where I have always wanted to visit. Alexa Chung is my personal career hero.

My hero is the ultimate hero. She can do anything, and I hope I can follow suit. Alexa currently runs major cat walks, models for huge ads and name brands, and writes about and interviews lovely people. She first attended Pernis College then Peter Symonds College, but decided not to go to either. Alexa also got accepted into Chelsea College of Art and Design, which is what most artists would go for, but she did not. My hero decided to go with a modeling career to start off with, and when she got scouted by a modeling agency, her dream came true. A salary for a super model is from $40 - $50 million a year. Alexa did not start with that salary, but she had to work very hard along with long hours and lots of traveling for it. She accomplished being a super model, but then quit because it was very tiring and consuming work. For Plan B, Miss. Chung went into entertainment as hosting television shows. “Alexa Chung fits the bill with her unique style, waifish beauty and, of course, her rocker boyfriend.” Nobody can be as cool as her.

Miss Chung’s traits and aptitudes are what make her who she is today. She grew up with three other siblings, one of whom is a famous DJ. “We were all creative — I was forever drawing and making things. But I wasn’t a confident child. My friends at school were the fit ones, who were always putting out while I was busy mucking out my pony.” She describes herself as also being quiet, which makes her a bit mysterious in public. Her creativeness continues into her “It Girl” career now, which she states, “there’s not much to being an It girl. It’s really quite a depressing title to hold”, along with her unique style. Before becoming an It Girl, she attended college and got accepted to many fashion colleges, but went for the modeling career. She first began modeling when she was 16, but then took a break from it and hosted many television shows until she got her own. "It’s On With Alex Chung" was her show where she interviewed many important people and had live indie-rocker bands play at the end of her show. She has accomplished all she has wanted, she even has had a brand name bag called Alexa, which she helped design with the designer. My hero has done all she has wanted, but continues past just fashion and toward helping society.

Alexa has done much to help society. She cares about it a lot, and does so in a unique way. One of her latest opportunities was being a mentor along with other mentors and they “worked with artists aged 18–25 to explore the global issues of gender, power and poverty through photography”. Chung has found a fond love of photography and put it through a good cause. Not only has she worked for the Terrence Higgins Trust, which is a British charity for AIDs and HIV, but she also helped on World AID’s Day. Friends of the Earth's The Big Ask which is a climate change law for the UK is what she has attended and helped with, too. Product Red is sponsored by GAP clothing store, Starbucks, and many other places and all profits go to the Global Fund to Fight AIDs. Greenpeace is very common for many famous people and Alexa is one devoted girl to this cause, as well as Attitude is Everything. Miss Chung has done all this charity and helped with causes not because people ask her to, or because it makes her look good, but because she is devoted to help the world. It does not necessarily make her career any easier or better it, she just enjoys charity and contributing, even with her new fashion line and photography.

Alexa on her t.v. show with 50 Cent. (http://www.mtv.com/photos/its-on-with-alexa-chung-celebrity-guests/1624253/4382127/photo.jhtml)

I would love to follow some of the steps of Alexa Chung. She is my hero and I would like to accomplish some of the incredible tasks she has done, but do them better. My goal for high school is to make it onto the CVHS Times, which is the school newspaper. It would help me get a taste of journalism, which I am thinking of as a career at this point. For college, I just want to go somewhere that will fit my personality and goals in life and what I would like to pursue and become. I do want to finish college, and am not so sure where I would like to go or what I would exactly like to do. In my life, I want to help people. I love charity, and wish to have opportunities like Alexa. Next summer my friend and I might go to Africa and play with the little kids. I want a career that can help people, that makes me a better person, and that I enjoy and love. I shall live everyday to the fullest, like my hero, until I get my dream and achieve what I have always wanted.

FIDM Just For Educators - Inspirational quotes for My Hero.
Wikipedia - The bibliography on Miss. Chung.
A Life in the Day: Alexa Chung - Interview from Alexa in the Times.