Ashley Elizabeth Cordial

by Caitlyn from Pickerington

WHAT IS A HERO?

A hero is someone who inspires you. They are courageous, strong, and genuine. They're someone who you can look up to, no matter what, and aspire to be like. You can look to them to help guide you in making decisions and other life choices. Heroes can also influence you to make good or better decisions than your making. A hero is someone, that no matter what, will always be there for you when you need them.

IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A HERO?

I think it can be important to have a hero, but not everyone needs one. It's nice to have a hero because you can use them to inspire you and help guide you. I also think, even if you don't have a hero, you can be a hero to some people, so it's important to understand what a hero is and does. If you do have a hero you should use them to help you and inspire you to be the best you can be. If you are the hero, you should have a good attitude, and inspire people by making good decisions yourself.

Ashley Elizabeth Cordial (http://www.bolin-dierkesfuneralhome.com/sitemaker/memsol.cgi?page=profile&section=info&user_id=195578)
Ashley Elizabeth Cordial (http://www.bolin-dierkesfuneralhome.com/sitemaker/memsol.cgi?page=profile§ion=info&user_id=195578)

MY HERO.

My personal hero is Ashley. She is a hero because she is someone i can look up to and aspire to be like. I use Ashley to inspire me in tough situations because she was such a strong, inspiring person. Even though she is no longer with us, her impact on my life hasn't changed. She was very strong and genuine, that's why i can look up to her so much. She inspires me to smile, even in bad situations because that's what she did herself.

Ashley is truly an inspiration for everyone in her path, not just the people who know and love her. My family has known her's for a very long time, and i thought we would always be inseparable. One day, we got news that Ashley had been diagnosed with lymphoma, a type of blood cancer. (Later, she developed leukemia and diabetes.) This came as a devastation to all of us, especially Ashley. This not only meant that Ashley was sick, but it meant we wouldn't have the same opportunity to do things and see her and her family so much anymore. No one wanted this to happen, but Ashley always stayed strong, and helped us to do so too. Even when Ashley didn't want to, she kept a smile on her face and had a positive attitude about everything. She has inspired me to do the same, and her courage and kindness helps me to get through even the toughest of situations. Every day I am inspired by her strength, positive attitude and courage, which is what makes her my true hero.

MY INTERVIEW.

I conducted an interview with Theresa, Ashley's mother. I chose Theresa because I respect her and felt like she would be the best person to go to about the information I needed. I asked her various questions about Ashley, what a hero means to her, and how she handled the situation.

1. Theresa's personal hero is Ashley because she admires her positive attitude, strength, and courage.

2. Theresa thinks a hero should be emotionally strong, have a positive attitude, be a caring, kind person, and be courageous.

3. When I asked her if she considered herself and Ashley a hero, she said she considers Ashley a hero, but not herself.

4. I asked what traits she thinks Ashley had that make her a hero today. She said that she had all the traits she thinks a hero should have. Ashley was really kind, brave, strong, and was very outgoing. She wasn't afraid to ask questions about what was going on.

5.Theresa said that having a hero isn't exactly necessary. She said it can have benefits, but not everyone has to have one.

6. She said the most beneficial thing about having a hero is just having someone to look up to and guide you in making decisions.

7. I asked her how she felt when she found out that Ashley had cancer. She said that she felt a mixture of emotions. She felt sad, scared, angry, and was in a lot of disbelief. She said how it was almost as if it was happening to someone else.

8. As for Ashley, Theresa said she felt pretty much the same way. She felt like "Why me?" and didn't really understand it.

9. I asked how, as a family, they dealt with the news of the cancer. She said that they took it day by day. They, no matter what the circumstances or how unpleasant the task they had to do that day was, they would go in and be happy they had each other.

10. Finally, i asked how this whole experience impacted her life today. She said that it made her learn a lot about herself. She said she found out she was a lot stronger, emotionally, than she though she was.

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - Information about my hero's cancer.

What is leukemia?
Leukemia is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow, the spongy center of bones where our blood cells are formed. The disease develops when blood cells produced in the bone marrow grow out of control. I got this information from the leukemia and lymphoma society website found in my bibliography.

What is lymphoma?
Lymphoma is the name for a group of blood cancers that develop in the lymphatic system. The two main types are Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). I also got this information from the lls website.

My name is Caitlyn Roby and I am from Pickerington, Ohio, where I have lived all of my life. My hero story takes place from about 2004, when my hero was diagnosed with cancer, until today, when she inspires me most.