Amelia Earhart

by Fatima from Sanford

Amelia Earhart was a famous pilot. She was the first woman to fly alone over the Atlantic. She tried flying around the world, but she went missing and she was never found.

Amelia Earhart was born in Atchison, Kansas, on July 24, 1897. While she was growing up she had a lot of fun. She climbed trees and collected bugs. She even hunted rats. She saw her first air plane when she was 11 years old. She told her parents it really looked like an orange crate. Amelia Earhart graduated from high school in Chicago. Then she attended the Ogontz school in Rydal, Pennsylvania. Then she attended Columbia University. Her first job was a nurse's aide in a military hospital. Years after that she wanted to learn to fly, so she did in California in 1921.

Amelia Earhart got her pilot's license. Earhart was a passenger on the Tirmotor Friendship. They flew from Newfoundland to Wales . They landed at Burry Park on June 18 , 1928. The thing that made her special was that she was the first woman to cross from United States to Europe in the air. She also wrote books after she flew across the Atlantic. In 1931 she got married to a publisher named George Palmer Putnam. But she continued her career.

On May 20 , 1932 she was ready to fly across the Atlantic by herself. She went from Newfoundland to Ireland. She completed her trip in record time of 14 hours and 56 minutes. 3 years later she wanted another record. She made a solo flight from Hawaii to California, which was a longer distance than flying from The United States to Europe. One day she said that she wanted to be the first woman to fly around the world. In June of 1937 everyone watched her leave. Amelia set off from Miami , Florida . There was a navigator with her named Frederick J. Noonan. On July 2 they started, the most dangerous part of the journey. She went from New Guinea to Howland Island in the Pacific. Hours after she took off something bad happened to her plane and she vanished.

The reason why everyone talks about her is that we really don't know what happened to her because she was never found. She even taught a lesson that girls can do the same things as boys.