Please consider donating today
If you share our goals of shining light on the heroes in our midst and empowering people around the world to create positive change, please consider donating today. The MY HERO Project is a haven of hope — a gathering of inspiration and a celebration of the best of our humanity. Our staff and millions of people around the world depend on the help of people like you so MY HERO can continue to thrive for years to come. Thank You for your donation.

Amelia Earhart

by Isabel from Ottawa

Ahh… The wind in my hair, the cool breeze blowing in my face... I was the first female to attempt to fly over the Pacific Ocean. Do you know who I am?

<a href=https://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/aviation/buildings/ear3b.jpg>Amelia Earhart</a href>
Amelia Earhart

I am the one and only Amelia Earhart! I am a very famous female pilot. I was the first female to receive a pilot’s license. I really enjoy flying. I got four awards for flying at an altitude of 4,267 kilometres. I got three awards for flying over the Atlantic Ocean.

I was born in 1897, in Atchinson, Kansas. In 1917, I helped wounded soldiers when I volunteered for the Red Cross. In 1922, I bought my first airplane because I was so interested in flying. In 1935, I flew from Hawaii to mainland United States. In 1937, I disappeared while flying en route from Lae, New Guinea, to Howland Island. My radio had static but I could still communicate. My fuel was low, and I didn’t see anywhere to land. My disappearance is a great mystery, because no one knows how I disappeared.

I am Amelia Earhart, and I am adventurous, because I fly all over the world. I am also heroic, because I fly during a time when flying is an unheard of pastime for women.

This web page was created as part of a class project. Students created web pages about their heroes, writing in the first person voice of the hero.