Amelia Earhart

by Victoria from poquoson

The most effective way to do it, is to do it. - Amelia Earhart

My hero is Amelia Earhart. My definition of a hero is a person, who is admired or idealized for courage, and her achievements. Amelia was born on July 24, 1897, in Atchison, Kansas. Her nickname was "Lady Lindy" because her slim build and facial features resembled that of Charles Linbergh. She was married on February 7, 1931, to George Putnam.

Amelia Earhart went to Hyde Park High School, and Columbia University. She died on January 1931. She was the sixteenth woman to receive a pilot's license from the FAI. She was the first woman to cross the Atlantic Ocean by plane. Then she flew around the world in March 1937. She always flew alone. She was an American pioneer and author.

During an attempt to make a flight around the globe, Earhart disappeared over central Pacific Ocean near Howland Island. She disappeared on July 2, 1937. They said that her plane ran out of fuel, and it crashed into the water and then sank. They are still looking for her to this day.

She had many different kinds of jobs. She volunteered as a nurse's aide. Amelia worked morning jobs like telephone operator and tutor. Amelia was a social worker. At the height of her career, Earhart spent time making speeches and writing articles. Earhart also flew around the world.

Amelia Earhart is important to me because she believed in herself and did what she always dreamed of. She made a difference in my life by giving me inspiration to follow my dream and not let anything stop me. I have learned that sometimes things fail but never give up. Always give it your best.