Amelia Earhart

by Rachel from Elgin

What would the world be like without heroes? Would the world be a safe place to live? Would everyone be of equal value? Amelia Earhart is one hero who changed the way people thought about women and what they could accomplish if they worked hard and believed in themselves. I believe Amelia Earhart is a hero because she dedicated most of her life to prove that women, like men, could excel in their chosen profession and have equal value. "The woman who can create her own job is the woman who will win fame and fortune." Her courage and valor gave many women hope.

Amelia Earhart was born on July 24, 1897 in Atchison, Kansas. When she was young she loved to go on adventures. Her curiosity and love for adventure played a big role in her later life. During her early school years, she showed interest in sports and science. When the Earhart family moved to Chicago, Amelia attended Hyde Park High School where she excelled in chemistry. After graduation, Amelia took a plane ride that transformed her life. It was a short flight but when she had landed, she knew she had to learn how to fly. Amelia soon earned enough money to take flying lessons from female aviator, Anita "Neta" Snook. She read everything she could find on flying and she spent much of her time at the airfield. Amelia had quickly realized what she wanted to do with her life and she never gave up when trying to reach her goals.

In 1928, after being the sixteenth woman to receive her pilot's license, Amelia was invited to be the first female to fly across the Atlantic Ocean, although she was only a passenger. Amelia was an instant sensation. Her determination had begun to get people thinking about how women could do just as many things as men could. Amelia wanted to distinguish herself from the rest of the world and in 1932 she became the first woman to ever fly across the Atlantic Ocean. Amelia's bravery and courage are still admired among people today.

Amelia Earhart is important to me because she was a hard worker and she never gave up, even when times were rough. Her personality traits included everything I hope to have. Amelia Earhart is like a role model to me because she proved people wrong and she never gave in to the pressure people put on her. I hope to be like her and to have courage, bravery, persistence, and determination.

Amelia Earhart was, and always will be, looked up to. She had traits that everyone should have. She didn't let what society thought of women stop her from doing what she loved. She was courageous, determined, and brave. Amelia proved people wrong and she is a true hero. She is also a role model to me because she portrayed traits that I want to have. Amelia Earhart is a great role model for anyone who wants to achieve greatness. She is a hero that will never be forgotten. Sources: http://www.biography.com/people/amelia-earhart-9283280