Amelia Earhart

by Rachel from Roxboro

"By the time I had gotten two or three hundred feet off the ground, I knew I had to fly".
Amelia was very brave
Amelia was very brave

These are the famous words spoken by Amelia Earhart, born July 24, 1987 and disappeared on July 2, 1937. Amelia was born in Atchison, Kansas to parents Amy and Edwin Earhart. She was married on February 7, 1931 to long loved George Putnam. Earhart was a devoted daughter and a cherished wife.

Amelia Earhart is my hero because she was a feminist. This means that she believed that women should have the same rights as men. Amelia also believed that marriage should be an equal partnership. She even kept her own last name after she married.

Earhart was also very brave. She did not care what other people thought of her. Amelia loved adventure and was always known as a "tomboy". She wore slacks instead of dresses and even wore bloomers which are odd looking trousers worn by athletic girls in the old days. She became the first female pilot to cross the Atlantic Ocean by plane in 1928. As a result of this, she was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross from the US Congress.

Amelia Earhart was an amazing pilot
Amelia Earhart was an amazing pilot

Amelia Earhart lived here and there because her dad went from job to job due to his drinking problem. Once the drinking got to be too much for Amelia's mother to handle, they divorced. She took Amelia and her sister, Muriel, to Chicago. There, she went to high school but did not have many friends. She was upset at her father which made her fearful to other peers.

As you can see, Amelia Earhart is very brave, feministic, and finally, a role model. She faced many obstacles in her life which made her extremely strong. Amelia is a hero to all men and women in the world, thanks to her outstanding courage and desire to fly.