Albert Einstein

by Eric from San Diego

Albert Einstein was a Jewish physicist who discovered the theory of relativity. He loved science, and had came up with and proven many theories. He overcame challenges, tried hard at what he liked, and was a genius. In his life he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics, Copley Medal, Max Planck medal, Matteucci Medal, and Franklin Medal. "Einstein's Awards." Einstein's Awards. Einstein Symposium 2005, 2005. Web. 17 May 2012. . He was a professor in Princeton University. He is my hero.

Albert Einstein was a very intelligent man. He displayed an interest towards math and science, and had theories about gravity and movement which are still accurate today.  "In 1905, Einstein published a series of papers, any one of which would have assured his fame in history. One, "On the Movement of Small Particles Suspended in a Stationary Liquid Demanded by the Molecular-Kinetic Theory of Heat," dealt with a phenomenon first observed by the Scottish botanist Robert Brown in 1827. Brown had reported that tiny particles, such as dust particles, move about with a rapid and random zigzag motion when suspended in a liquid." "Albert Einstein." Notable Mathematicians. Gale, 2008. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 8 May 2012. His studies on the motion of particles had helped the world understand more about molecules, their movement, and their properties. His findings in physics helped many physicists learning about gravity, motion, and the movement of molecules. One of his greatest discoveries was the theory of relativity.  "The problems of gravity bothered him most. Whenever physicists worked out a natural law, gravity seemed to confuse it. In 1915, he wrote the general theory of relativity. It was extremely radical. To account for gravity, time and space must be curved around massive objects. The math was very complex and the whole idea so strange that most people didn't accept it. But Einstein suggested three ways it could be proven." "Albert Einstein." PBS. PBS. Web. 09 May 2012. .Most scientists didn't accept this theory but Einstein provided three ways it could be proven, one of these was observing starlight during a solar eclipse. In 1919, scientists and astronomers proved this during a solar eclipse and made Einstein famous.  Due to these statements I believe Albert Einstein is very intelligent.

Thought his life, Einstein overcame many limitations. In his early years, Einstein was thought to be stupid or retarded because of his poor grades in English and social studies. "Einstein began to develop some of his earliest interests in science and mathematics, but he gave little outward indication of any special aptitude in these fields. Indeed, he did not begin to talk until the age of three and, by the age of nine, was still not fluent in his native language. His parents were actually concerned that he might be somewhat mentally retarded."  "Albert Einstein." Notable Mathematicians. Gale, 2008. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 8 May 2012. Einstein wasn't very good at language, geography, and history; so he decided to do what he was good at and excel in math and science at the Federal Polytechnic Academy. As a result he became a respected scientist, even though his English grades suffered. He also faced many critiques and pessimistic professors. "Hitler was rising to power in Germany, and though Einstein had renewed his German citizenship, he was considered suspect as both a Jew and a pacifist. It may be, too, that the absolutist Nazi party found that his relativity theories conflicted with what they considered pure physics. He was in California when Hitler took power in 1933, and he never returned to Germany. He took a position at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Princeton, where he remained for the rest of his life." "Albert Einstein." PBS. PBS. Web. 09 May 2012. . When Hitler rose to power he was forced to leave Germany, this was because he was Jewish. Even though he had to leave he made the best of it and became a professor at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Princeton. Because of the challenges he faced I believe he is good at overcoming limitations.

I believe Einstein is an objective person always trying to prove his point. Being a scientist, Einstein needed to prove all of his theories and findings.  "Einstein's new theory was too radical to be immediately accepted, for not only were the mathematics behind it extremely complex, it replaced Newton's theory of gravitation that had been accepted for two centuries. So, Einstein offered three proofs for his theory that could be tested: first, that relativity would cause Mercury's perihelion, or point of orbit closest to the sun, to advance slightly more than was predicted by Newton's laws. Second, Einstein predicted that light from a star will be bent as it passes close to a massive body, such as the sun. Last, the physicist suggested that relativity would also affect light by changing its wavelength, a phenomenon known as the redshift effect." "Albert Einstein." Notable Mathematicians. Gale, 2008. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 8 May 2012. Even though no one believed him at first, Einstein was able to prove to the scientific community that his theories and findings were true. These findings had brought him into fame and many job offers.  Einstein also believed in peace, and wanted to make the world a better place.  "In the 1930s, Einstein spent as much time championing the cause of peace as he did discussing science." "Albert Einstein." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture. Ed. Sara Pendergast and Tom Pendergast. Detroit: St. James Press, 2000. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 9 May 2012. In Einstein's later years he spent a lot of time for the peace cause, most of this time he was trying to disarm countries nuclear warheads and giving lectures.  He was a man of truth, peace, and science. For these reasons I believe Albert Einstein was objective.

His intelligence, perseverance, and mindset are all things I wish I had. He used his fame to bring peace, and his intelligence to back it up. He was offered high status jobs but he refused in the pursuit of knowledge, he was even offered presidency of Israel in 1952. Albert Einstein is my hero.

Work Cited

"Albert Einstein." PBS. PBS. Web. 09 May 2012. .

"Albert Einstein." Notable Mathematicians. Gale, 2008. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 8 May 2012.

Document URL
http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/bic1/ReferenceDetailsPage/ReferenceDetailsWindow?displayGroupName=Reference&disableHighlighting=true&prodId=BIC1&action=e&windowstate=normal&catId=&documentId=GALE%7CK1625000082&mode=view&userGroupName=powa9245&jsid=9dca2697e0956161227024c281e5258b

"Albert Einstein." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture. Ed. Sara Pendergast and Tom Pendergast. Detroit: St. James Press, 2000. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 9 May 2012.

Document URL
http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/bic1/ReferenceDetailsPage/ReferenceDetailsWindow?displayGroupName=Reference&disableHighlighting=true&prodId=BIC1&action=e&windowstate=normal&catId=&documentId=GALE%7CK2419200358&mode=view&userGroupName=powa9245&jsid=a80b129da193179c953214b22f0d0f0f

"Albert Einstein." World of Mathematics. Gale, 2006. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 3 May 2012

Encyclopaedia Britannica
Brittanica Centre
310 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago Illinois 60604