Annelies Marie (Anne) Frank

by Mackenzie from Hingham

“I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart”
Anne with her family in 1941 (google images)

“I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.” Anne Frank said this, and therefore she is my heroine. Anne Frank was always so cheerful and funny, but when Adolph Hitler came to power things changed for Anne. Anne and her family (including her father Otto Frank, her mother Edith Frank-Holländer and her sister Margot) were forced into hiding because of their Jewish/German heritage. The family lived in a secret annex hidden by a bookcase that swung open like a door. The Franks lived there from 1942-1944. In 1944 the Nazis discovered them and they were taken to a concentration camp. Anne could be described as a brave, determined and a talented teenager. Anne Frank lived a life no one could ever dare to think of.

Anne was brave many times over the span of her life. First of all, Anne was very brave to move around Germany and not get caught by the Nazis. Before the Franks were forced into hiding, they were trying to escape from Germany when they learned it wasn't safe anymore. Margot and Anne were sent to live with their Grandmother in Aachen, Germany, while their mother commuted around Amsterdam to find somewhere to live. Otto Frank goes to the Netherlands where he has the opportunity to work for a company. While Anne was in hiding it was very hard for her because she was such an active teenager. She was cheerful, solemn-eyed, funny, moody, and self-critical, these traits made Anne, Anne. Last but not least, Anne was brave enough to stay hidden for two years and know that the law stated “Any Jewish person that didn't show their face was arrested.” Anne's bravery was unquestionably powerful.

Anne was a very determined teenager. She always wanted to make herself useful and to please people with her actions. Anne writes in her diary, “I want to be useful or give pleasure to people around me who don't really know me. I want to keep on living even after my death!” Second of all, Anne always wanted to be a fine person. In one of Anne's entries she says how much of a fine person she is, but also how necessary it is to come to terms with one's moral being. Lastly, Anne was determined to stay alive. To stay alive her family had people keep them up to date by sharing the news with them. They also brought the Frank's food to keep them well. Anne's determination was inspiring.

The Secret Annex (google images)
The Secret Annex (google images)

Anne's character can definitely be described as talented. On Anne's thirteenth birthday she receives a diary as a gift. From that day on she wrote in her diary every day, which helped her become a talented writer. Anne was very talented in school. She took any subject that could come to her mind. In her diary she writes, “My happy-go-lucky, carefree school days are gone forever.” Anne writes this when she and her family are leaving for the hiding place. Anne Frank was very funny teenager. She would always say something funny or tell jokes. Everyone would want a talented child with them when they're hiding.

“I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart,” Anne Frank said this, therefore she is my heroine. She is my heroine because she taught me everything there is to know about being brave, determined and bold. I will never take my freedom for granted from what I learned about Anne Frank. As Anne said, “I want to keep on living even after my death!”