Albert Arnold (Al) Gore

by Alley from Peterborough

"The presidency is more than a popularity contest." -Al Gore
Al Gore - as a soldier in Vietnam (Wikipedia)

Al Gore was born on March 31, 1948. His father is Al Gore Senior and his mom is Pauline LaFon Gore. His father was a U.S. Representative and a Senator. His mother was one of the first females to graduate from Vanderbilt University Law School. He also had an older sister who was taken by lung cancer in 1984. He grew up in Washington as well as on the Gore family farm in Tennessee.

Even though Gore was opposed to the Vietnam War he enlisted in the United States Army in August of 1969. In the beginning he was a military journalist for the military newspaper. He was later shipped to Vietnam in January of 1971. He worked there as an engineer. Gore says that his experience in Vietnam hasn't changed his views and opinions on that war.

Now Gore is married and has his own family. His wife is Mary Elizabeth Aitcheson (also known as Tipper) and she has written several books. They have 4 children: Karenna (born 1973), Kristen (born 1977), Sarah (born 1979), and Albert IIV (born 1982). Al and Tipper also have two grandchildren.

Al Gore and Bill Clinton (Wikipedia)
Al Gore and Bill Clinton (Wikipedia)

AL GORE'S POLITICAL ACHIEVEMENTS

Member of the U.S. House of Representatives - Tennessee's 6th district - January 3, 1977-January 3, 1983.

Member of the U.S. House of Representatives - Tennessee's 4th district - January 3, 1983-January 3, 1985.

Senator of Tennessee - January 3, 1985-January 2, 1993.

45th Vice President of the United States - January 20, 1993-January 20, 2001.

Al Gore (Wikipedia)
Al Gore (Wikipedia)

Al Gore has done wonders to help bring awareness about Global Warming and environmental problems. He starred in the movie An Inconvenient Truth (2006) about Global Warming. He also wrote a lesser-known book by the same title about other kinds of environmental concerns such as nuclear power. These were not his first acts of awareness. On Earth Day 1994 he launched the GLOBE program, an education and science activity that "made extensive use of the Internet to increase student awareness of their environment" (according to Forbes magazine). Another huge event - the Live Earth benefit concerts were said to be the "brain-child" of Al Gore and Kevin Wall of Save Our Selves. "For his efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change" he received the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize on October 12, 2007.

Al Gore receives the Nobel Peace Prize (Google)

Al Gore has taught at four Universities in 2001 as a visiting professor:

•Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism

•Fisk University

•Middle Tennessee State University

•University of California, Los Angeles

These schools probably feel lucky to have had him teach there.

With all of these achievements to his name, the real reason that Al Gore is my hero is for his dedication to saving the planet and his perseverance to reach his goals. He has tried many times to be elected president and always failed. So far, I really admire this quality of perserverance. Some people would try to do something like that and when they fail they would give up, but Al Gore has never given up. I really believe that the environment is the most important political issue. Al Gore is probably the only politician that I know of who is so incredibly conscious of the environment. His movie An Inconvenient Truth showed people across North America and beyond how global warming will affect the earth in the future. His hard work in this area of conservation has paid of. On October 12 2007 Al Gore was rewarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change. Al Gore certainly deserves this recognition. His perseverance, determination and his dedication to the environment are the reasons why he is my hero. OTHER FACTS ABOUT AL GORE

•He wanted the American Government to pull the plug on the support of Saddam Hussein.

•When Gore's son was in the hospital recovering from an automobile accident, Al started writing Earth in the Balance, his book on environmental conservation.

•An Inconvenient Truth won the 2007 Academy Award for Documentary Feature and was the highest grossing American documentary of all time.

Al Gore - Presentation speech for the Nobel Peace Prize
Al Gore's Website - Official site taking the message of 'An Inconvenient Truth' to Congress.
Ted - Ideas worth spreading - Video - 15 ways to advert a climate crisis
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - on Global Warming