Audrey Hepburn

by Alex from San Diego

Often called the "Fairest lady" (Corliss) Audrey Hepburn was known for her list of achievements as a screen actress, but it's what she did when Hollywood was not looking, that made her a hero. Mrs. Hepburn was not only the next big thing in 1950's Hollywood, but in her later years she dedicated her life to helping the poor. Joining with United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund Audrey Hepburn became the first UNICEF ambassador. This, however, was not a choice that came overnight; it was her rough childhood that gave her an abundance of compassion towards children in need. "Born Edda Kathleen Hepburn-Ruston, on May 4, 1929, in Brussels, Belgium, Hepburn was the daughter of Baroness Ella van Heemstra and her second husband, a debonair British financier named Joseph Victor Anthony."(Flonder) It's said that she discovered passion to help others when her father left her and her mother at the brink of World War II. Hepburn discovered how much she hated feeling useless in such a time of need. After the war she was still traumatized by the terrible experiences she went through. Her humble nature and drive to always work towards success assures that her legacy will not fade.

Mrs.Hepburn always believed in putting others first, being as humble as they come. This was one of her best traits when it came to helping others. For example Flavio states "She lived the philosophy of putting others before herself. She showed this side particularly towards the end of her life in her work for the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (Flavio) Hepburn was truly the opposite of what a stereotypical shallow Hollywood star is meant to be. Raised during the war, with only her wits to keep her going, Mrs.Hepburn always knew others should come first. She wanted to be known nationwide a hardworking women who strived to help others in need, Not as the dizty Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Despite all of the fame and success, Hepburn was humble; Londer states "While Hepburn's acting was highly appreciated in her lifetime, she would doubtless prefer to be remembered as UNICEF's hardworking fairy godmother."(Londer) Audrey Hepburn wanted to be known nationwide as hardworking woman who seeked to help others in need. She went to all ends of the earth to make sure her voice was heard. This is one of the many reasons why she is a hero to us all.

Being born in a time when laziness was not an option, Audrey Hepburn was always a hardworking woman when it came to getting what she wanted. "Wherever we first saw her, she made an instant impression: classy, graceful, and enchanting. The onetime sickly war refugee, so hungry she ate tulip bulbs to stay alive, grew up to symbolize beauty-both inside and out. Her screen presence was luminous, but she also shone as special ambassador for UNICEF, working tirelessly to save the lives of youngsters in countries beset by war, famine, and other disasters." (Flonder) Mrs.Hepburn was a hard worker, even as a child her determination to work towards what she thought was right was evident.she was sedulous when it came to her cause; Mrs. Hepburn risked her own safety to deliver notes for the Resistance. Hepburn was never afraid to do the right thing. Working hard always stuck with Mrs. Hepburn even to the end to when she made countless trips to Africa to support children. "Hepburn had traveled to Somalia in the fall of 1992, and her sad but hopeful account galvanized the world's response to the dreadful famine" (Flonder) even in the fall of 1992 when she was diagnosed with cancer, Hepburn refused to let the problem go unheard. Making one last trip to support UNICEF'S cause, she did everything in her power to prevent a famine. she was determined to work, through health and sickness; nothing stopped her from supporting her cause.

With the power celebrities get from fame and success, Mrs.Hepburn chose to use hers for the greater good, with a hard working nature and humble disposition Hepburn's legacy lives because of her character. In addition to being a timeless screen actress, Audrey Hepburn was also a Humanitarian, a gifted public speaker, a style icon, a mother, and a grandmother. I admire her for her willingness to help others. she would state, "It's that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so 'don't fuss, dear; get on with it." (Ed. Laura B.) . Audrey Hepburn was more than a Hollywood star, her work ethics and attitude all came from her selfless heart. She is truly an inspiration to me and inspires people even today. At her core, she was a woman with self-confidence and poise, a sort of confidence I want. For example Mrs. Hepburn states, "Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others."(Ed. Laura B.) The way she always puts others first is admirable and makes her a timeless hero. Her legacy as a strong graceful women who believed in modesty and helping others will live on to all women.

Work Cited "Audrey Hepburn." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 1 May 2014. "Audrey Hepburn Society." UNICEF. UNICEF USA, n.d. Web. 8 May 2014. . Corliss, Richard. "Audrey Hepburn:Still the fairest lady." TIME. TIME magazine, 20 Jan. 2007. Web. 20 May 2014. . Flavio. "Short Biography of Audrey Hepburn." Audrey 1. Flavio, 13 July 1989. Web. 7 May 2014. . Flonder, Polly. "The Immortal Audrey Hepburn." Biography 2.8 (1998): 46. Biography Reference Center. Web. 2 May 2014. "Hepburn, Audrey." UXL Encyclopedia of World Biography. Ed. Laura B. Tyle. Vol. 5. Detroit: UXL, 2003. 886-888. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 4 May 2014.

IMDb - Audrey Hepburn's impressive screen carrer
Audrey 1 - An Audrey Hepburns fan site
UNICEF - UNICEFS records of Mrs. Hepburn