Alero Iwere

by Andrea S from Laredo

Bw what you want and don't let anyone get in your way.
A great hero with a big heart (my flash drive)

Why do people have heroes? Why look up to someone? What are the actions of a hero? What makes a hero? These are all questions that come to mind when thinking of a hero. A hero is someone that you look up to, someone that cares about you and loves you. Many people have heroes for many different reasons, but a major reason is that we just want to have someone that we respect and look up to. Someone that loves and cares for you. Heroes stand up for you and always have a good influence on you. An example of a hero could be Gandhi; he fought for what he believes in and stood up for his country. Aside from Gandhi, Martin Luther King is another good example of a role model. He also fought for his and the rights of everyone. A hero is caring and not self-centered.

My hero is important to me. She is my mom. I respect everyone but I look up to my mom. She has had a good influence on my life. Unlike Martin Luther King, I know my mom directly and I love her very much. She may have not made a change like Gandhi or is not as rich as Oprah Winfrey but she just as much as a hero to me as they are. She is one of kindest, sweetest and un-selfish people I have ever met, but of course nobody is perfect so she has had her days. When my mom sees someone in need she always goes out of her way to help. She has influenced me in many ways. One of my mom’s favorite sayings is “never give up”. She has taught me that even when things don’t go my way I should always change it so it works for me and everyone else. Another thing my mom has given me and taught me is manners and respect. My mom is keen on respect; I always give respect to everyone older or younger than me. She always says “give respect and you will get respect”.

Another reason she is my hero is because she always does the right thing. Even if the right decision makes everyone go against her, she still does it. She leads me to the right path and always tells me to follow my heart. And when I am conflicted she always tells me that I should make a compromise. My mom is one of the most inspirational women I have ever met or known. My mom has always pushed me whenever I hesitated. For example, in 5th grade I wanted to be in AVID so bad but I didn’t make it, in 6th grade I was somewhat hesitant to apply again but she told me that I should do it, the worse that would happen would be that I didn’t make it. Well I did, and if she didn’t make me apply again I would never have gotten in; thanks to her.

My mom is not just an incredible influence on me but she is on everyone she knows. My mom gives great advice. She never treats people wrong. She doesn't care what race you are, she will respect you. She gives people her time so women and children can be safe from violent situations. She is the most generous person I know. She set a goal in her life to give people a new life, and she helps her three kids out. My mom is awesome. She has always had a big heart and I'm grateful that she is my mom.

My mom has been the most influential person in my life. When I grow up I want to be as good a mom as her. What kind of influence do you want your hero to have on you? Is it good? Is it bad? You decide. But you should probably know that having someone that has a good influence on you might just make you have a good influence on someone else. That way their legacy can live on. A good influence is always better. Whether you are a kid or an adult, just ask yourself one question: what kind of hero do you want your family, friends and kids to have?