Angelina Jolie

by Mateja from Ljubljana

Angelina Jolie is a famous world-known American actress and she is noted for her humanitarian work with UNHCR.

Angelina Jolie was born in Los Angeles, on June 4 1975. Her father is an actor and so is her mother. She has got a brother. Her parents separated in 1976, and she lived with her mother and brother. When she was 11 years old, she decided to become an actress. She studied acting, but at the age of 14 dropped out of her acting class. She began working as a fashion model when she was 14 years old. At that time she also appeared in musical videos. At the age of 16 she returned to the theatre and played her first role in a German film.

She starred in biographical films George Wallace and Gia, in the action comedy Mr. and Mrs. Smith, in the animated film Kung Fu Panda, the thriller Playing God, in films Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Cradle of Life, The Good Shepherd, Beowulf, Changeling… She has won numerous awards for her work. She has received three Golden Globe Awards.

Angelina is known for her exotic appearance, and she has got many tattoos. Her tattoos have been the subject of much media attention for a long time. In the beginning, she had problems with them when shooting movies, but now all kinds of tattoos and scars can be covered with different make-up. She currently has thirteen known tattoos. My favourite one is the one on her back, written in Arabic. Her unusual hobby is collecting knives.

She is also famous for her humanitarian work through UNHCR. She helps other countries like Cambodia, where she has donated 1 million $ for poor children who do not have any money to go to school. In August 2001 she visited Cambodia, where she saw the difficult life of those people. They do not have any food or water, a lot of people sleep on the streets. She became a citizen of Cambodia due to her charitable work in this country. She also helps people who are ill with HIV and cancer. She talks and listens to them. She was married to Jonny Lee Miller and Billy Bob Thornton, but she divorced both. She is now married to Brad Pitt, also an actor. She has adopted three children: a child named Maddox from Cambodia, a girl Zahara from Ethiopia and a Vietnamese boy named Pax. In 2006 she gave birth to a daughter, Shiloh Nouvel, and in 2008 to twins, a boy Knox Leon and a girl Vivienne Marcheline. She is a caring and devoted mother.

Angelina is my hero because she is a popular star, one of the highest-paid actresses and she worked as a model when she was young. I have learned from her that you must use every opportunity that is offered to you, and make the most out of it. In this way you can achieve a lot. With her humanitarian work she should set an example to all of us. I want to be like her and help people in need. She is definitely a hero.

Wikipedia - Angelina Jolie's biography