Alexander Lau

by Florence from San Francisco

Alex Lau
Alex Lau

Alexander Lau was born in California, San Francisco. As he grew up, his grandmother took care of him while his mother and father were at work. Then his sister, Florence Lau was born. He welcomed her in to the family as soon as he saw her. His grandmother had many to take care of because Alex's father has a sister and had two children also. They were completely different from the Lau family. They all had to adapt to the way their grandmother cared them throughout the day. Alex was a fast learner.

Miniature Schnauzer puppy (http://www.k9magazine.com/pictures-of-dogs/d/2100-9/rachel_jones20.jpg)

Later on, he went to preschool at The Arch 2. At The Arch 2 he learned how to write his name, numbers and learn to speak in complete sentences. After completing preschool he went to St. Cecilia's kindergarten. He was very successful there and got into first grade and then second. When he was in third grade, his sister was in first grade. She always followed his footsteps. In fifth grade his sister got a pet bunny for her birthday but they didn't have it for long. They kept him for a little more than a year. They gave him away to the SPCA and his sister was very depressed for about a week. His father then promised them to get a puppy from Louisiana. After getting the dog from the airport before his birthday was joy for him. He was a Miniature Schnauzer. Sixth grade was a very tough year for the family because his grandmother had liver cancer. It was an emotional year for all of them. Soon she passed away and they attended her funeral. Years later he's in seventh grade and didn't do too good in the first and second quarter because of missing assignments but in the third and fourth quarter he got first honors.

He applied to many schools such as St. Ignatius College Preparatory High School, Sacred Heart, Stuart Hall, and Riordan. He took many entry exams and all the schools accepted him, but before knowing which school accepted him, he had another trial. His dog had tiny rocks in his stomach and had to get them out. The surgery was successful but it took a couple of weeks for it to heal. The reason for the rocks was the food that he ate. After weeks of recovery, the dog was healthy and was on his feet again. Alex soon chose to go to St. Ignatius College Preparatory High School. His family signed up for financial aid and got to pay for Alex's education. He soon gradated from St. Cecilia and had a lot of preparation to do before high school started.

During the summer, Alex and his sister went to St. Ignatius summer school for about five weeks with his cousins and friends. There, they went over some important things to remember and know about the next year. After summer school the Lau family went to the East Coast and had a wonderful time sightseeing and experiencing the East Coast. They ate many different foods and met new people from different places such as Los Angeles, Canada, and other countries. There were also many people that were almost the same age as us and we all got along well.

After coming back from the East Coast, they got supplies for school. Soon, they started school and he and his sister hoped the best for each other on the first day of school. The year went by fast and Alex had outstanding grades to end the year.