Abraham Lincoln

by Mike from Wallingford

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 in Hodgeville, Kentucky. He helped free the slaves, he made black people more equal to white people. He thought that black people deserved the same rights and opportunities as the white people. He didn't like seeing black families being bought and split up. The black people gained equal rights and led about 3 million people to freedom.

Abraham is my hero because he freed slaves. My definition suits him because he helped slaves even though there would be no money reward. Some facts that I found were that the South wanted to keep slaves and the rest of the United States wanted slavery to become illegal. He started the Emancipation Proclamation which freed 3 million people from slavery. He wanted to free the slaves and John Wilkes Booth shot and killed him. It affected the blacks because now they were free and it affected the white people in the South because now they had to plant crops themselves. A quote from slavery, "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

He is also my hero because he became a very powerful President. In my definition, I wanted a very powerful person and the President is the most powerful person in the United States. Some facts that I have found about him while he was in office were that he became a military leader, he was the 16th President and we still learn about his accomplishments today. He preserved the Union and ended slavery. He became very well known and made the U.S. more powerful than it ever was. A quote from Presidency, "The Presidency, even to the most experienced politicians, is no bed of roses. Taylor, like others, found thorns within it. No human can fill that station and escape censure."

The South didn't think that Abraham was a hero. The South wanted slavery and they voted to keep slavery legal. Abraham started the Union and made slavery illegal in the U.S. Abraham Lincoln's legacy was about freeing the slaves and helping in the Civil War. We still are researching him, writing books on his life, his accomplishments and his big, black hat.

His legacy was freeing the slaves and being a very strong president. We have many great books and biographies written on Abraham and there is now the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. We still are taught about his life to this day and everyone remembers his big black hat and black beard.

My description of a hero is someone who does something for the good of the world without being told or being paid. I think that my hero meets my expectations because he is strong, brave and willing to put other's lives before his own. My hero was also not told to free black slaves or be the President or even fight in the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln is my hero because he freed all slaves. Abraham Lincoln was also the 16th President of the United States. He guided his country through the most devastating experience in its national history, the Civil War.