Abraham Lincoln

by Abram from San Diego

“The things I want to know are in books, my best friend is a man who’ll get me a book I ain’t read.”

On February 12,1809 a new president was born in Kentucky. Abraham Lincoln once said, “The things I want to know are in books, my best friend is a man who’ll get me get a book I ain’t read.” He’s my hero because he freed slaves and helped people.

When he was young he moved and helped his father build a log cabin. Two years later his mother died of milk fever. Milk fever is when poison gets in milk from a snake biting a cow and then the milk being drunk. Abraham Lincoln studied to be lawyer. He had a nickname. It was “Honest Abe.” That’s because one day he gave a lady the wrong change and traveled so far to give her the right change.

He was elected the 16th president of the United States of America. In New Orleans he saw that the people had a slave market. He did not like that which led to the Civil War. The war was between the south and the north. The Civil War lasted a long time, but the North won in the end. After the war slavery was prohibited.

Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Lincoln went to the Ford’s Theater and unfortunately the president was assassinated that night. One of the soldiers of the South, named John Wilkes Booth, shot President Lincoln in the back of the head.

The reason I picked Abraham Lincoln as my hero was because I really admire what he did to stop slavery. He struggled through life a little bit but he never gave up on what he believed in. Some people say he was one of the best presidents that the United States has ever had and I agree. It’s a shame he died at the age of 54, but he was a great leader.