Abraham Lincoln

by Craig from Baltimore

A hero is someone who is brave, strong, but at the same time modest. First trait of a hero is bravery. Bravery is important because if you’re not brave you won’t take a risk that could make you a hero. Also another important trait is strength. Strength is important because you need to be able to pull through something hard and not give up so you will be able to achieve. My final trait is modesty. I believe modesty is the most important trait of a hero. My hero, Abraham Lincoln, definitely fits these traits.

First Abraham Lincoln is brave because he led the Union to a victory in the Civil War. Also because he sided with the African Americans who were enslaved at the time. Following this he made friends with Fredrick Douglass a black man who was a freedom fighter and, believe it or not an escaped slave. That is why Abraham Lincoln is brave.

Secondly Abraham Lincoln is considered strong in many ways. He was president which takes a ton of mental strength. In fact the stress put on presidents and word leaders could drive you insane because of it being so hard. Then after the Battle of Gettysburg he made the Gettysburg Address. The Battle of Gettysburg was the bloodiest battle of the Civil War, and to stand and give the most inspirational speech of that time is definitely strong.

My last trait is modesty. If a hero isn't modest they won’t be well liked, after all who would enjoy a person who was contently bragging. A hero such as Abraham Lincoln is surely modest. He is modest because when he won the Civil War he didn’t go down to Robert E. Lee's house and brag about how good he was. He is all too wise. That is why Abraham Lincoln is modest.

Abraham Lincoln still plays a big role in society today, even though he was killed on April 14, 1865. Many of Abraham Lincoln’s ideas are still known today. For instance, one of his most famous quotes is from the Bible: 'A house divided against itself cannot stand.' So as you see Abraham Lincoln is an absolute hero.