Abraham Lincoln

by Oscar from Fresno

Abraham Lincoln our 16th President of the United States was born on February 12,1809 and died on April 15,1865. As Abraham grew up, he loved to read and preferred to learn by working in the fields. He impressed the residents with his character, wrestled the town bully, and earned the nickname "Honest Abe." Lincoln, who stood nearly 6-feet 4-inches and weighed about 180 pounds. He was the first president to be assassinated by a well known actor John Wilkes Booth while the American Civil War was getting to a close. He was a country lawyer who helped and encouraged border states against slavery and helping the congress to make the 13th Amendment of the United State Constitution.

He made an unsuccessful run for the Illinois legislature in 1832.He ran again in 1834, 1836, 1838 and 1840, and he won all four times. (Lincoln was a member of the Whig Party; he remained a Whig until 1856 when he became a Republican). This $5 Bill you see right here it is what represents the United States President on his value, kindness, serveness of the army, caring, and respectful man that people will always remember him for what he did to help the United States. Lincoln's body was taken to Springfield by train, and he was buried in the Lincoln Tomb in Oak Ridge Cemetery on May 4, 1865. Because of the assassination, Reconstruction took place without Lincoln's guidance and leadership.

You could always go and visit Washington D.C. to go and see Abraham Lincoln Memorial Statue. It is in a cool looking place (Greek Houses Design) so it looks beautiful.

Abraham Lincoln - Mostly Everything you want to know about Abraham Lincoln