Abraham Lincoln

by Ralph from San Diego

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/abrahamlincoln (Michael Beschloss and Hugh Sidey)

Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States and he freed all slaves from slavery in the southern states due to his Emancipation Proclamation. Abraham Lincoln became the 16th president because of all of his hard work as a young adult and as a grown adult. Lincoln had a sad childhood but he soon overcame it and became a great leader. Lincoln was born in a log cabin on February 12,1809 in Hardin County in Kentucky. He was born dirt poor and he was self-educated. He also had a taste for jokes, hard work, and books.  He was the 16th president of the United States and president during the Civil War in 1860. Lincoln was a lawyer in Illinois, and he was also a postman and storekeeper in New Salem as a young adult. He issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves from slavery in the southern states. He led the Union Army against the Confederate Army in the Civil War. He also changed the United States forever. Lincoln was a member of the Whig Party and soon to the House of Representatives. In 1850 he joined the new Republican Party. On April 14th 1865 Lincoln went to The Ford's Theatre to watch a play with his wife and friends. An actor named John Wilkes Booth managed to sneak into the private president section and shoot Lincoln in the back of the head, which caused his death. Booth was a secret Confederate spy whose goal was to assassinate Lincoln, which he did. Lincoln died on the morning of April 15th 1865. A hero must be a leader in some way and they must be brave and willing to stand up to people to express their thoughts and feelings. Hero must also be multi-talented in a certain way. Lincoln was a politician, leader during the Black Hawk War, a storekeeper, lawyer and postman. During his time in the House of Representatives he issued the Emancipation Proclamation several times and he finally won and issued the law. Lincoln possesses leadership and multi-talent, therefore he is known as a hero. He worked hard from being dirt poor as a child to becoming the 16th president of the United States. As a young adult he was a storekeeper, lawyer, leader and fighter during the Black Hawk War. He would fight to get the Emancipation Proclamation law passed ad finally did while he was with the House of Representatives.

Colored photo of Lincoln. (http://www.visualnews.com/tag/abraham-lincoln/ (PAUL CARIDAD))

Lincoln possesses leadership and multi-talent, which was what made him the great hero that people know and admire today. Abraham Lincoln managed to grow up dirt poor and die as a president. He was a fighter and leader during the Black Hawk War. He was also in the House of Representatives for four years and proclaimed the Emancipation Proclamation. He managed to free all slaves from slavery due to the Emancipation Proclamation. Abraham Lincoln inspires me because he was born dirt-poor and he managed to become the 16th president of the United Sates. He was also multi-talented and a leader to many. He is also considered a hero because of the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves from slavery in the United States. Due to the Emancipation Proclamation Lincoln changed the United States forever. Overall Lincoln has been known to be the best president the United States has ever had. He had also done a lot to change the country, and all to make it better.

Beschloss, Michael, and Hugh Sidey. "Abraham Lincoln." The White House. 2009. Web. 06 May

2012. .

"Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865)." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale

Biography In Context. Web. 6 May 2012.

"Miller Center." American President: Biography of Abraham Lincoln. Rector and Visitors of the

University of Virginia, 2012. Web. 08 May 2012. .

Richard N., Current. "Lincoln, Abraham." Britannica Biographies (2011): 1. Biography

Reference Center. Web. 9 May 2012.

One trait that made Abraham Lincoln a hero was that he was multi-talented. Abraham Lincoln became multi-talented due to all of his jobs growing up. "There he worked from time to time as storekeeper, postmaster, and surveyor. With the coming of the Black Hawk War in 1832, he enlisted as a volunteer and was elected captain of his company" (Current, Richard N.). Lincoln was multi-talented because he managed to do a lot jobs and skills. He was in charge of a lot of businesses while he was working in New Salem during the early-mid 1800's. Besides being a hard worker in his younger years, he was also one as an adult. "He served for a time as a soldier in the Black Hawk War, taught himself law, and held a seat in the Illinois state legislature as a Whig politician in the 1830s and 1840s" (Miller Center). Lincoln still had a lot of tasks and assignments as an adult, on his way to his presidency in 1860. Being multi-talented was one of Lincoln's best traits but he still had other big and important ones too.

http://youjivinmeturkey.com/tag/abraham-lincoln/ (youjivinmeturkey )

Abraham Lincoln was a strong man but most importantly he was a leader. Abraham Lincoln became a leader at a young age and continued until his death. "Killed by an assassin's bullet less than a week after the surrender of Confederate forces, Lincoln left the nation a more perfect Union and thereby earned the admiration of most Americans as the country's greatest President"(Miller Center). All of Lincoln's actions led to a better more perfect Union and he was known as America's greatest president. Due to Lincoln's leadership as a president he managed to end the fighting and chaos in the United States during the Civil War. Lincoln was a leader who was willing to do anything to protect the Union. "Lincoln's primary aim was neither to provoke war nor to maintain peace. In preserving the Union, he would have been glad to preserve the peace also, but he was ready to risk a war that he thought would be short" (Current, Richard N.). Lincoln wanted to keep the peace but he was willing to go to war if that was what he had to do. He was a very good leader and just wanted to end the war against the Confederate Army. Being a leader was a major trait in Lincoln while he was the president.

Lincoln becoming a politician played a big part in him becoming a president. "He held a seat in the Illinois state legislature as a Whig politician in the 1830s and 1840s. From state politics, he moved to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1847, where he voiced his opposition to the U.S. war with Mexico. In the mid-1850s, Lincoln left the Whig Party to join the new Republican Party" (Miller Center). He was a member of the Whig Party and soon ended up with the new Republican Party in 1850. Lincoln became part of the Whig Party in the 1830's and soon moved to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1847. He would always propose a bill that would free the slaves from slavery in the south. "During his single term in Congress in 1847-49, Lincoln, as the lone Whig from Illinois, gave little attention to legislative matters. He proposed a bill for the gradual and compensated emancipation of slaves in the District of Columbia" (Current, Richard N.). As a member of congress, he proposed the Emancipation Proclamation many times. The Emancipation Proclamation was a bill that freed all slaves from slavery in the Southern States and Lincoln was for it. Lincoln had many famous traits that made him the man he was back in the 1800's.Being a politician was a big trait that made him the 16th president of United States.

The White House - United States Presidents
Miller Center - History of Abraham Lincoln