Abraham Lincoln

by Hunter from San Diego

(en.wikipedia.org ())
(en.wikipedia.org ())

Abraham Lincoln once said, "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today,"(Abraham Lincoln Quotes). Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States. Born in Hodgenville, Kentucky on February 12, 1809 to Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln, Abraham was raised by uneducated pioneers and seldom attended school. Their mother Nancy was very religious and taught the children about the Bible and she believed in the importance of education. (Lincoln, Abraham. FactCite). "On January 1, 1863 Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. This was an order that freed the slaves in the Confederate States. Although not all the slaves were immediately set free, it paved the way for the 13th Amendment which would free all slaves in the United States a few years later"(Abraham Lincoln, Bio.). The proclamation inspired many, however many people did not approve of the Abraham Lincoln's words. That is why Abraham Lincoln is courageous and has great leadership skills which make him a hero.

Lincoln was voted in as the 16th president of the United States of America; however this was the beginning of many trials for him that showed his courage. "In his inaugural address, he clarified his position on the national situation. Secession, he said, was anarchy. The Union could not legally be broken apart.The first test came when Secretary of State William H. Seward secretly conferred with Southerners regarding the evacuation of Fort Sumter in Charleston harbor. Lincoln firmly but kindly put Seward in his place and refused to yield, even though it meant the outbreak of the Civil War" (Abraham Lincoln. Encyclopedia of World Biography). It takes courage to stand up to someone, especially if it can lead to war. He wanted to free the slaves in the South which would make the Southerners mad. That was not the only time he had to stand up for his convictions. "A second test came when Col. John C. Fremont, in command at St. Louis, invoked martial law and announced the confiscation of the property of all persons who had taken up arms against the government and the freeing of their slaves. Lincoln quickly rescinded the orders and, when Fremont resisted, removed him from command," (Abraham Lincoln. Encyclopedia of World Biography). The Southerners would be mad at Abraham Lincoln for undoing the martial law Fremont put in place because they wanted to keep their slaves. They did not want the slaves to be set free. Abraham Lincoln is courageous because he wanted all people to be free and the Southerners did not like him for the steps he took to set the slaves free.

(rogerjnorton.com ())
(rogerjnorton.com ())

A hero has strong leadership skills because they need the people they influence to follow them. During the Civil War the North and the South were divided over the issue of slavery. The North wanted slaves to be free and the South needing slaves to take care of their crops wanted to separate from the North and make their own country. Abraham Lincoln's "leadership in the North helped the country to remain strong and defeat the South keeping the country united" (Biography of President Abraham Lincoln for Kids). He is standing up for the people and wants them to be united. "He also pushed for the freedom of all slaves throughout the nation" (Biography of President Abraham Lincoln for Kids). The slaves would not be free if Abraham Lincoln had not used his leadership to stand up against the South. And today we would not be blessed with all the culture diversity we enjoy today.

Abraham Lincoln is courageous and a good leader because he wants everybody to be set free and keep the United States of America United. The Southerners did not want the slaves to be set free as we know right now Abraham Lincoln was killed at a Ford's Theater because of his beliefs. I find Abraham Lincoln inspirational because he was a good leader. He had lots of courage and he gave the people courage. I think people should be as nice as Abraham Lincoln because if you are really nice to all people, regardless of race like Abraham Lincoln was, people will look up to you and stand up for you.

Work Cited

"Abraham Lincoln." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 04 Feb. 2015

"Abraham Lincoln." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 9 Feb. 2015.

"Abraham Lincoln Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 04 Feb. 2015.

"Biography of President Abraham Lincoln for Kids." Ducksters. Technological Solutions, Inc. (TSI), Feb. 2015. Web. 4 Feb. 2015.

"Lincoln, Abraham." FactCite: Lincoln Library Biographies Online. Lincoln Lib. P, 2012. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.