Abraham Lincoln

by Kyle from Gallatin

Heroes are people you look up to with awe and show a feeling of gratitude and respect. Heroes are usually shown as selfless people as well. They’re also motivated and often driven to surpass their obstacles. People like Abraham Lincoln, who reached salvation by suffering through damnation. The three words I can use to describe him is that he is selfless, motivated, and well-mannered/respectful.

Abraham, like many other heroes, was known to be selfless. In his younger/middle ages, he often helped his neighbors to great lengths. Whenever Abraham had spare time, he was able to teach his friends and neighbors how to read and write which was a great skill to learn back then. He also helped deliver mail for people often who needed them to be carried out when they were in distress and did it as a good deed. Internally, Abraham Lincoln showed a great sympathy to others that were in a dire situation and for the dead. Abraham knew slavery was unjust, so during a point of his presidency, he passed out the Emancipation of Proclamation that freed the slaves and made that practice illegal. He also proposed the Gettysburg Address for a proper burial for all those that died in the Civil War. Even if some of this information about Abraham doesn’t seem to relate to his trait of selflessness, internally he is showing it.

Abraham Lincoln was without a doubt, like all or almost every president, was motivated. Abraham has several burdens within him, but he is able to carry on and move on with his life with it. Abraham had a mother and sister who passed away during his youth and he has somehow either carried that sorrow within him or gotten over it and moved on strongly. It’s also known that he had depression symptoms shown during the time when he worked chopping wood outside of his home. Another reason why he is motivated is because he sticks to his goals regardless of how hard and pain enduring the goal is. At some point when he worked in a store in Illinois with his advisor, who had passed away, he had to work paying off debts that took almost a decade, less or more, and he eventually succeeded in paying his own debt and his advisor’s debt. He also showed a great impression in the Lincoln-Douglas debate in 1858 making him a powerful, national political figure which put a lot of work and thought into it and made him an important Republican member. There are other achievements he reached besides the one mentioned that were far more impressive as well.

A well-mannered and respected man was someone like Abraham Lincoln. People would sometimes call him, “Honest Abe” for an obvious reason because that nickname/phrase defines what kind of person he is. Other presidents like Grover Cleveland always said to just simply “tell the truth” and Abraham Lincoln seemed almost or completely free from political corruption because he always did tell the truth during his presidency and before it. He even told truths regardless of possible backfires, unless if it was unnecessary to do so. Abraham always stayed positive and tried to enlighten people in tough times. At one point, during the Civil War while Abraham was giving a speech to politicians, he was telling jokes and humorous stories to help cheer them up and explain to them that trying to stay positive and in joy can dull the pain of turmoil times. He was also showing respect by being sympathetic and remaining calm and in control of tough times both internally and externally. Manner and respect is not something you always try to show externally, but internally as well.

I consider Abraham Lincoln a hero because of these wonderful and memorable traits that I can use to describe him and they are: selfless, motivated, and well-mannered respectful. He is selfless because he is also considerate, sympathetic, and helpful to those in distress. He managed to stay driven and motivated throughout just about his entire life. He is also well-mannered and respectful because of his honesty, calmness, enlightenment, and sympathy. One of the most common descriptions of a hero is their bravery which I forgot to mention and that trait matched Abraham Lincoln, because when you intertwine his three characteristics, selflessness, motivation, and manner/respect, it matches bravery all together.