Abraham Lincoln

by Phillip from Williamsville

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln is a hero that is recognized. He did many things in his lifetime. Lincoln was a tall, honest man who believed in freedom. Lincoln was a great president. He helped many, and made them smile.

Lincoln's childhood is different than many think. Lincoln was born in Kentucky on February 12, 1809, in a big, one room log cabin. He had a sister named Sarah. They both did a lot of farming to support the family. Lincoln's mother died of milk disease in 1818. He liked telling jokes and stories. Abraham Lincoln liked to read when he was young. This was unusual because of the fact that not many people had an education at that time. As you can see, Abraham's childhood was quite intriguing.

Before Lincoln was a president he had a couple jobs. One of them was being a store clerk. At first business was slow but, at least, he had a job! Another job Abraham Lincoln had was being legislature. He was elected August 4, 1833. Thanks to this job, Lincoln became really good at drafting legislation. There is one last thing Lincoln did before becoming president. He helped put up fences and clear land, etc. Lincoln became known as rail splitter for this. Finally, he became president. Lincoln was elected in 1860 November 6. He was happy about this, but sad he had to leave his hometown. After four years of presidency, Lincoln was re-elected in 1864 on November 8. As you can see Lincoln worked hard to get where he did.

Lincoln did many things for others. For example, he answered all the mail he got. Another thing he did was free the slaves. This involved signing the thirteenth amendment. Abraham Lincoln also wrote the emancipation proclamation. Lincoln also lead the Civil War. Lastly he paid for the first homestead act. Some may not consider this helping, but he made others happy when he told stories and jokes. This is how Lincoln helped others.

Just because Abraham Lincoln did a lot, doesn't mean he didn't have any obstacles. One was when part of the country didn't know who Lincoln was so he had a bit of a disadvantage when election time came around. When Lincoln was elected he received a lot of hate mail. During Lincoln's presidency he went to Washington. He had been there before and this time it was much more polluted. Now that he was president, Lincoln needed a secretary. Soon after getting a secretary, Lincoln's Secretary of War was accused of bribery. This caused many problems. During the civil war people requested Lincoln to remove his war general. Lincoln did so with great regret. Another issue was the Civil War it was a difficult and gruesome war. These are some of the obstacles Lincoln faced.

Abraham Lincoln had many achievements and recognitions. The most obvious achievement that Lincoln obtained was becoming president. Another recognition Lincoln has is for giving the Gettysburg Address. This is the speech that Lincoln gave his famous quote, "Four score and seven years ago." A score is 20 years. Therefore Lincoln was referring to 87 years ago. At that time 87 years ago was 1776, the year the Declaration of Independence was signed. A third recognition Abraham has is leading the army in the Civil War. He was also the only president to hold a patent. There are different kinds of patent. Lincoln held a utility patent. A patent is when someone makes something their own, therefore making it illegal if used without permission. Abraham Lincoln also had an education at a young age which not many people had. Lastly he made a secret service. A secret service is a government department focused on espionage. Abraham Lincoln made it on the day he was shot. Speaking of which Lincoln does get quite a bit of recognition for this. He was shot at point blank range. As you can see, Lincoln had quite a few recognition/awards.

Everyone has their own personality, and Lincoln wasn't very different. Abraham Lincoln had valor. Valor is courage for war. This was shown when Lincoln led the army in battle. A second trait Lincoln had, was being determined. This was shown when he was determined to free slaves. Finally, Lincoln was focused. This was shown when he focused on the requests of the letters he received. As you can see, Lincoln is quite fascinating.

One could learn a lot from Abraham Lincoln, and the way he lived. For example you could learn to follow your dream. This is shown when Lincoln wanted to study law. When he became a lawyer he was able to learn a lot about law. Becoming president also helped Lincoln in his dream. Young people could also learn never to stop fighting for what's right. Lincoln fought for the slaves and kept believing that slavery was improper. When Lincoln won the fight, this represented that you should never stop fighting for what's right. This is what a person could learn from Abraham Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln did a lot for his people. As you can tell Lincoln was a great president who believed in freedom. He wasn't just a great president but also an amazing person.

Abraham Lincoln by Deborah Kops