Abraham Lincoln

by Cesar from Rosemont

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

Do you know who was president during the Civil War? It was Abraham Lincoln. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to be the president during this time in history? The war split the country into two sides. The North didn’t want slaves and the South did. Abraham Lincoln believed that slavery was bad. He didn’t think it was fair to treat people differently because of their skin color. The South wanted slaves so that they could make more money. They used the slaves to pick the cotton. Cotton was an important resource for the South. Abraham wasn’t afraid to stand up for freedom.

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 in Hardin County Kentucky. He had very little schooling. He went to school for only a few months, but he read a lot. Abraham was honest, helpful, and hardworking. Lincoln started to study law. He educated himself by reading borrowed law books. Lincoln read a lot of books in his spare time, just like when he was a kid.

He learned a lot from reading and became a lawyer. After that, he decided to run for president. Lincoln and Douglas held seven debates. Thousands of people came to listen. Lincoln lost the election, but he said, “The fight must go on.” He ran for president again and this time he won. He was elected 16th president in 1861.

Lincoln died on April 14 1865. He was shot in the head in Fords Theater by John Wilkes Booth. A train took his body to Springfield.

I like Abraham Lincoln because he was honest and he lead the country during the Civil War. He also stopped slavery. The next time you look at a five dollar bill you can see Abraham Lincoln's face and remember what a great man he was.