Abraham Lincoln

by Peter from Buffalo

Abraham Lincoln served as president during America’s greatest conflict. Before he even took office, several states had seceded from the Union. His determination to hold fast to his beliefs at all costs helped forge our country into what it is today. When faced with tribulation, Lincoln turned to God for guidance. This man’s life serves as a testimony for all people aspiring to accomplish hard things. Because of his stand against slavery, Abraham Lincoln is my hero.

Lincoln could boast of many accomplishments during his presidency. Foremost on this list would be his Emancipation Proclamation. When Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the nation was mired in a bloody civil war. Knowing that the issuing of this proclamation would deepen the hatred that half of the country already had against him, Lincoln held strong to his beliefs. Basing his stand on the statement that “All men are created equal,” Lincoln held firm against slavery. Although Lincoln did not live to see most of the positive results of his presidency, his work went a long way towards shaping our country.

Abraham Lincoln is my hero because he was unrelenting in his stand for what he believed to be right. Although he was tested time after time, Lincoln refused to compromise. He trusted in God to take care of him and made the right, though often difficult, choices. When he signed the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln became a savior to all the slaves in America. But humble as he was, Lincoln knew that Christ is the only savior. And because of this, Abraham Lincoln is my hero.