Abraham Lincoln

by Carter from Loveland

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

The man who played a role in ending slavery. He was dedicated, he made sacrifices, and he had courage. He was a hero. He was Abraham Lincoln. This man was a hero but how was he a hero, you might ask? He did not have super powers. Well, you don't need superpowers to be a hero.

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

This amazing man showed dedication and perseverance to his job and to abolition to slavery. Take the Civil War. An amazing president and a bunch of other amazing people fought in a war against slavery, to end it forever. Then there's The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution that makes it so "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction". Last but not least Richmond. Abraham and the Union Army tried to take over Richmond, the capital of the Confederate States of America.

Sacrifice. Abraham had many sacrifices or unfortunate events and all out of his control. February 20, 1862 in Washington. D.C., William Lincoln died of typhoid fever and Abraham said, "My poor boy. He was too good for this earth. God has called him home. I know that he is much better off in heaven, but then we loved him so much. It is hard, hard to have him die!" Before that there was Edward Baker Lincoln, who died on February 1, 1850 at the age of 3 from tuberculosis. Then there was Tad Lincoln who died July 15, 1871 of tuberculosis. This took a toll on Lincoln, he lost so many of his kids. All unfortunate, not really sacrifice but loss.

Courage is another hero characteristic that Abraham Lincoln has. The Civil War was made of many problems. One of them was slavery and Abraham played a role in stopping it. Then the Emancipation Proclamation. It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in the ten states that were still in rebellion. He had the courage and strength to keep going after all his sons, except one, died.

You can be a hero too, just like Abraham. You don't need super powers, you just need to be you. Wow, it sounds like I'm making a sales pitch but now it's time to wrap it all up. This man lost so much and won a war. In a way he had courage and dedication.

William Wallace Lincoln (wiki) - "My poor boy. He was too good for this earth. God has called him home. I know that he is much better off in heaven, but then we loved him so much. It is hard, hard to have him die!"
Edward Baker Lincoln (wiki) - February 1, 1850 at the age of 3 from tuberculosis
Tad Lincoln (wiki) - July 15,1871 of tuberculosis
Thirteenth Amendment (wiki) - "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction"