Alfredo Martinez

by Kathy from Van Nuys

My hero is my dad, Alfredo Martinez

My hero is my dad, Alfredo Martinez, because he has gone through many rough things in his life and he has taught me many things that might happen to me. He has also told me to get ready for what is coming my way and, if I fail, to never give up because the hard work you do will always pay up and reward you with many great gifts. In which you make your dreams come true no matter what happens to you. He also taught me how to control my emotions when something horrible happens to my family or me. He is a great father, husband, friend, and person in which you could always count on him. I’m really lucky to have him as my father and I would never change him for anything in the world because he is a very independent man and I love him no matter what.

A reason that my dad is my hero is because he is a very hard working person that tries to do his best in his work. For example he wakes up really early when there is an emergency in a building such as a flooding room or faucets not working. He always tells our family what has happened to him at work or what is going to happen. Even if it’s 3 a.m. in the morning he still goes to work because it is an emergency that can’t wait at all. He tries to do his best to support his family. One day he came to the house and told us that they offered him a job as a manager all the way to North Hills and we still used to live in South Los Angeles in our house that we rented. I was happy for him but it meant to me that I had to leave my life here. It was sad at that moment but then I look around and what I have it is a family that has always been together. Also that we can never be separated for any reason or excuse at all.

Another reason that my dad is my hero is because he could control his emotions when many bad things happen to him. For example when his mother died it was like a nightmare for him that he couldn’t wake up from at all. He was at work when my aunt called from Mexico to tell us the bad news. He cried his heart out that night, he told us great things about her and how much he loved her. Also when he fights with my mom he doesn’t like to hurt her feelings so he calms himself down because he doesn’t like to make my mom cry. When something happens to one of our family, or my other family in Mexico, he tries to help as much as he can. He tries to comfort us and tells us that everything is going to be okay. When he gets mad at my sisters, he tries not to yell at them and makes an effort to calm down before he does something else. He tries to control his emotion which is something great because many people can’t control themselves.

The third reason that dad is my hero is because he is a great man because he does amazing things. He is always there through rough and happy times to support people. He is a great father and friend because he listens to us his daughters and his wife too. He appreciates what people do for him. He is also always trying to make a person's day a little more cheerful and happy but he mostly likes to love his family the most. What I will always remember of him is that he always says is that he is happy for his family. Mostly importantly is that he says that he will never in his life regret having my sisters and me and I could say that I will never regret having a dad like him.

For all these reasons I admire and say that my father is my hero. No matter what he does, he will always be my father and I will always love him. For many other things I love him too. He is a person that mostly surprises me at times. He is a very generous and energetic person whom you can always count on. When he lets someone down he tries his best to make it up again. When he lets me down I’m not disappointed that much because I know that all his hard work is for my family and me. For all these reasons and things, I admire my father and for his hard work too. I would never change anything about him because I love how my father is in his own way and he is a very admirable person to look up to.