Alexander Matrosov

by Sergey from Krasnoyarsk

The hero is the one who saves people from evil and danger of death. A hero is brave, strong, confident, and kind. I think heroes are chosen for their courageous deeds.

My hero is Alexander Matrosov. He is known for his self-sacrificing feat, when he closed with his breast the embrasure of the German bunker. His feat was widely reported in newspapers, magazines, literature, films and became the Russian sustainable expression.

On February 27, 1943, Battalion 2 received the task to attack the stronghold in the area of the village of Black Cumin (Loknya District, Pskov Region). As soon as the Soviet soldiers passed the forest and came round the corner, they came under heavy enemy fire to three machine guns in the bunkers covering the approaches to the village. To suppress the fire points two groups were sent.

One group suppressed submachine gunners. The second group destroyed another fire group. But the machine gun from the third bunker continued to sweep the whole territory near the village. Attempts to stop the fire point were unsuccessful. Then Peter Ogurtzov and Alexander Matrosov crept in the direction of the bunker. Close to the bunker Peter Ogurtzov was seriously wounded, and Alexander Matrosov threw himself on the dzot (fire slot) to stop the fire.

Thus, the fire attack was stopped thanks to A. Matrosov's self-sacrifice. He did not spare his life to do the task and save his fellow-soldiers.

Alexander Matrosov - Russiapedia Military Prominent Russians