Aly Raisman

by Alex from Colorado

Aly Raisman is my hero. The reason Aly Raisman is my hero is because she is an Olympic gymnast that makes me think anything is possible.

Aly Raisman was born in 1994. Aly is the oldest of four children in the Raisman family. Her mother was a high school gymnast and her father played hockey.

She started gymnastics when she was just two years old, and by the time she was fourteen, she was an elite gymnast. When Aly was little, she and her mom were watching the Olympics and her mom said, "I'm glad you're not there." Aly thought that was insulting because she thought her mom was saying she wouldn't make it to the Olympics. She worked really hard to balance her school work and gymnastics. She went to Needham High School as a junior, but had to finish online in 2012 because she went to the Olympics in London.

Aly Raisman my Hero (https://twitter.com/raismanprobs ())
Aly Raisman my Hero (Promo photo. Source: https://twitter.com/raismanprobs)

The 2012 London Olympics were her first, and she was 18 years old. Her teammates at the 2012 Olympics were Gabby Douglas, Mckayla Maroney, Kyla Ross, and Jordyn Wieber. The U.S. won Gold in team awards. Also at this Olympics, Aly won 1st place on Floor, 3rd on Balance Beam, and 4th All Around. Her favorite event is Floor, which is cool because she got 1st place on Floor.

Aly went back to the most recent Olympics in 2016 in Rio. Her teammates this year were Simone Biles, Gabby Douglas, Laurie Hernandez, and Madison Kocian. This team named themselves "The Final Five". The reason they named themselves "The Final Five" is because that Olympics was the last year we could bring five gymnasts to the Olympics. So far, Aly Raisman has won six Olympic medals in both of the Olympics she has gone to and led her team to win the team gold twice. Aly is such a strong athlete that she might even be going to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, at the age of 26. She is one of the older American gymnasts and many people call her "Grandma".

Some things she likes to do outside of gymnastics include: yoga, shopping, and spending time with friends and family. Her favorite subject in school is English. Her favorite book to read is The Pact. Aly also enjoys watching Pretty Little Liars, The Ringer, and Dance Moms. Her favorite foods are watermelon and yogurt. She likes to listen to Hip-Hop and R&B music. One day I would like to be like Aly Raisman.