Ashley Rhodes-Courter

by Samantha from San Diego

A Foster Child
 "The late-afternoon light streamed through the mist on the Crystal River, and I felt something I had never known before: Home" (Rhodes-Courter).  Ashley Rhodes-Courter did not know the feeling of home until she was fourteen years old.  In those fourteen years, she had experienced some very painful memories, which many people would not survive so strongly.  That was a reason why she fought to help other children in need; she didn't want them to experience what she had to go through.  At age three, Rhodes-Courter was placed in foster care in Florida without her younger brother Luke. She moved fourteen times before she landed in her adoptive home with her foster parents Gay and Phil.  After she had a stable home and became part of a loving family, she entered an essay competition with a story about her adoption day:  "On June 1, 2003, the New York Times Magazine published her grand prize winning essay about her adoption day.  Ashley expanded her essay into a memoir, Three Little Words, which was published by Simon & Schuster in January 2008 and quickly became a national bestseller" (Rhodes-Courter).  She has been a child advocate for foster children in America since the age of fourteen (Rhodes-Courter).  "She is internationally recognized as a speaker for child welfare, foster children, human rights, families, youth advocacy, adoption, women's issues, and overcoming adversity" (Rhodes-Courter).  Rhodes-Courter has taught at conferences and colleges, and was elected one of Glamour's Top 10 college women, recognized for her volunteer work on behalf of foster children (Rhodes-Courter).  Currently, Ashley serves as an Ambassador for National Child Welfare for the American Humane Association along with serving on several national and international boards.  These are just a few of Ashley Rhodes-Courter accomplishments.  Heroes are determined to help those in need, because they put others before themselves. No matter what tough situations they have to face, heroes have the courage and bravery to overcome them.  Ashley Rhodes-Courter overcame difficulties during her childhood, but was still determined to bring awareness, and protect children. Therefore, she is an inspiration to children in difficult situations.

Rhodes-Courter stayed positive throughout her hard childhood.  Instead of letting fear and pain drown her, she turned her pain into power with courage and overcame the difficulties she had to face.  She proved that light can come from dark situations.  After, Rhodes-Courter shared her childhood difficulties with her memoir, magazines, newspapers, and TV programs wrote and shared her story.  One magazine wrote: "'Nine years in the foster care system could ruin a kid. But [Ashley] not only survived, she's thrived' -Teen People" (Rhodes-Courter).  Ashley Rhodes-Courter had a childhood many do not have, and in those circumstances, one would normally be overwhelmed by the fear and pain. However, she made the best out of what was thrown at her, and overcame those difficulties.  Once she had a stable home and family, Rhodes-Courter dedicated her time and effort to a cause she believed in improving: "Since the age of 14, Ashley has advocated for the half-million children still in foster care in America by giving speeches throughout the U.S.   She spoke on Capitol Hill, was invited to the White House, and taught at numerous colleges and conferences for elected officials, judges, social workers, policy makers, and families" (Rhodes-Courter).  Rhodes-Courter grabbed the first opportunity she was given to make a difference. She overcame the difficulties of her past, and showed that any person can conquer their past, and create a future for themselves and others.  Her childhood struggles, gave her the power she needed to achieve these amazing accomplishments.  Despite the difficulties Ashley Rhodes-Courter had to face as a child, she conquered the hardships.  

Rhodes-Courter is determined to bring awareness to America about foster children.  She shared her own personal experiences about her foster life, to inform others and encourage them to get involved to help.  She cares for the lives of others in need, and shares her love with them.  On a television program, Rhodes-Courter's memoir was discussed: "Ashley Rhodes-Courter is 22 years old, college graduate and has written a wonderful book about her experience growing up as a foster child called "Three Little Words." And she also hopes it will serve as a wake-up call and a call to action for all of us in this country"(Sawyer).  Rhodes-Courter is persistent to bring awareness to the difficult situations foster children experience.  Therefore, she shared her painful memories with the world in a memoir to hopefully open their eyes to these crucial problems, and encourage them to improve society.  Determined to bring more awareness to the difficulties of foster children, "She hosted a television program called "Explore Adoption" which was produced by the State of Florida to raise the public's awareness of foster children in need of loving and permanent homes"(Rhodes-Courter).  Rhodes-Courter is persistent to bring awareness to America about foster children.  She explained how they need permanent homes and love like every other child. Ashley Rhodes-Courter brought awareness to the problems of foster children, by using her determination.  

In addition, Rhodes-Courter protects others from harm, and future harm.  She put herself out in front of the world, and stood up for what's right to keep the problems she overcame from happening to other children.  She is a child protector.  In an interview on a television program, Rhodes-Courter explained the reason of why she sued one of her former foster family: "'You sued because you wanted to protect the other children who would come after you'" (Sawyer).  "'Absolutely. I, I wanted to ensure that this family couldn't harm any more children the way they harmed myself, my brother and, and all those other kids'" (Sawyer).  Instead of making this situation about herself and her past with this foster family, she directed the issue to foster children and their needs.  She stood up so she could protect other children from future abuse.  In an article, the mission of one of the organizations Rhodes-Courter contributed to was stated:  "'Our mission was and still is to improve the lives of children and to ensure they have permanent homes. We can make a difference -- one child and one family at a time'" (Rhodes-Courter).  By being a part of this organization, she is making the lives of children better and more stable.  She urges others to help make this possible, by doing anything in their power to contribute to this cause.  By doing so, Rhodes-Courter protects these children, and encourages others to do the same.

Ashley Rhodes-Courter is an inspiration to all children in inhumane situations, because she overcame the difficulties she faced as a child, but was determined to bring awareness, and protect other children.  As a child, she experienced many difficult situations, but never gave up. Therefore, she was able to conquer her problems.  Driven to help others who have to go through the same, she wrote a memoir about her childhood, hosted a television program about foster children, was interviewed on television, and was the topic in articles.  By sharing her story, she brought attention to a cause in need.  Now, she works in different organizations for children, and protects them.  Rhodes-Courter, a hero, is an inspiration, because she proves that anyone can achieve great things no matter what their background is.  A hero just needs to have determination and courage to overcome their difficulties.  Ashley Rhodes-Courter encourages children to find their courage and conquer their fears.  In the words of Maya Angelo, "Having courage does not mean that we are unafraid.  Having courage and showing courage mean we face our fears.  We are able to say, 'I have fallen, but I will get up'" (My Quotes).

Works Consulted

"Ashley Rhodes-Courter Biography." Ashley RhodesCourter RSS. N.p., 2013. Web. 20 May 2013.

Holan, Angie Drobnic. "THE FOSTER CHILD WITH A STORY TO TELL." St. Petersburg Times [St. Petersburg, FL] 13 Jan. 2008: 2E. Opposing Viewpoints In Context. Web. 1 May 2013.

"MAGAZINE'S TOP 10 LIST RECOGNIZES A LOCAL FACE." St. Petersburg Times [St. Petersburg, FL] 11 May 2007: 1B. Opposing Viewpoints In Context. Web. 5 May 2013.

"My Quotes Home - Quotes About Inspiration." My Quotes Home Quotes About Inspiration. N.p., 2013. Web. 15 May 2013.

"Photos." Ashley RhodesCourter RSS. N.p., 2013. Web. 20 May 2013.

Rhodes-Courter, Ashley. "AS YOU WERE SAYING . . . Foster children need voice." Boston Herald 12 Apr. 2008: 016. Opposing Viewpoints In Context. Web. 5 May 2013.

Rhodes-Courter, Ashley. Three Little Words: A Memoir. New York: Atheneum, 2008. Print.

Rhodes-Courter, Ashley. "Three Little Words." Ashley RhodesCourter RSS. N.p., 2013. Web. 01 May 2013.

SAWYER, DIANE. "Triumph Over Adversity." Good Morning America (ABC) (2008): 1. Newspaper Source. Web. 2 May 2013.

"Society aims to help kids find families." Wyoming Tribune-Eagle (Cheyenne, WY) 19 Aug. 2007: Newspaper Source. Web. 5 May 2013.

"Three Little Words." Ashley RhodesCourter RSS. N.p., 2013. Web. 20 May 2013.

"Videos." Ashley RhodesCourter RSS. N.p., 2013. Web. 20 May 2013.

Ashley Rhodes-Courter - Ashley Rhodes-Courter's website.
Ashley Rhodes-Courter - Biography about Ashley Rhodes-Courter.
Ashley Rhodes-Courter - Photographs of Ashley Rhodes-Courter.
Ashley Rhodes-Courter - Videos about Ashley Rhodes-Courter.
Ashley Rhodes-Courter - Information about Ashley Rhodes-Courter's memoir, "Three Little Words".