Audrey Kathleen Ruston

by Evelyn from Miami

For beautiful eyes look for the good in others, for beautiful lips speak only words of kindness, and for poise walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
Audrey Hepburn (Biography.com  (Dan Scott))
Audrey Hepburn (Biography.com (Dan Scott))

Audrey Hepburn was not only a woman of diamonds and dresses, she knew how to give back to the world and how to share both her fame and wealth. A woman of beauty, elegance, and grace, Hepburn remains one of Hollywood's most famous icons often imitated yet never quite duplicated. Born Audrey Kathleen Ruston, on May 4,1929, in Brussels Belgium she later changed her name in hollywood to Audrey Hepburn. From a very early age of 22 years she began her acting career. Her first role was in the Broadway production of Gigi. Two years later Hepburn starred in the film Roman Holiday with the acclaimed actor Gregory Peck. Then in 1961 she made history with the famous film Breakfast at Tiffany's. Later through the years Hepburn was awarded many prizes and awards, among a few are an Emmy, Tony, Grammy, and Academy Award. However, Hepburn's best and most notable work was with UNICEF for the improvement of children who lived in poverty.

Hepburn spent much of her time in a boarding school at England. During World War ll, Hepburn spent much of her time studying at a conservatory in the Netherlands. However, after the Nazis invaded the country Hepburn faced a tough life with her mother who struggled to give her daughter protection and care. Even at a very early age Hepburn was extremely courageous; she defended her homeland country by feeding the Americans top secret information regarding the Nazis' movement and plans. After the war, Hepburn continued to pursue her dreams in performing arts such as theater and dance. She studied balled in Amsterdam and London. On September 25,1954 in Switzerland Hepburn married Mel Ferrer.

For the rest of 1960s Hepburn began to take on a variety of roles in both dramatic and thrilling films. Later, throughout the years, she began to fight for the rights of children. She became an ambassador for UNICEF in the late 1980s. Traveling the world, Hepburn tried to raise awareness about children in need. From prior knowledge, Hepburn understood how it felt to go hungry for days, tired and scared. In 1993, Hepburn was awarded a special Academy Award because of her humanitarian work. Sadly, Hepburn did not live to see the acclaimed award due to the fact that she died on January 20,1993 at her home in Tolochenaz, Switzerland after a difficult battle with colon caner, a rare but deadly disease. Hepburn's work never truly ended; today her actions to help the children around the world continues. Her own sons, Sean Ferrer and Luca Dotti, along with her partner Robert Wolders, established the Audrey Hepburn Memorial Fund to continue Hepburn's humanitarian support around the globe in 1944. Now it is known as the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund. Hepburn was a wonderful woman that inspired, taught, and encouraged children around the world, she showed them that everything in life is attainable as long as one works hard and maintains discipline. Hepburn also taught the rest of us that compassion and kindness should also be a virtue that one should carry at all times. Even beyond the grave she continues to inspire and make a difference. Her presence still lives amongst us.