Andy Warhol

by Stephanie from Spokane

"An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them" -Andy Warhol
Andy Warhol Photograph (www.studioscreenings.com)

My hero is Andy Warhol. He was a famous artist, best known for his colorful pop art. He was born of two Russian immigrants and lived from 1928-1987. Warhol’s artist abilities were noticed at an early age, he began taking photos at age nine, and later earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Pictorial Design from Carnegie Mellon University.

Warhol Campbell Soup Collection (www.warhol.com)

Warhol spent most of his life in New York City, making a living as a commercial artist in the 1950’s. During that time, he became fascinated with comics and ads and created studies of products in that era. In 1961, he debuted his most famous series which was comprised of art based on Campbell's soup cans. These paintings were the catalyst to his fame and gained him notoriety in the celebrity world.

Marilyn Monroe (www.warhol.com)
Marilyn Monroe (www.warhol.com)

In the history of modern art, Andy Warhol is a permanent figure. His work has inspired many others in its creativity and perspective. In recent years, research has suggested that Warhol may have qualified for an Asperger’s syndrome diagnosis. This is inspiring to me as a parent of a child with Autism as well as a lover of the arts. Creativity is a characteristic that is often overlooked in society today; I believe that its impact on the human spirit is something to be celebrated.

Warhol as an artist exemplifies respect. He was passionate for his craft and studied art and design to its fullest. He was respectful in his subject matter and showed a certain reverence for creativity and passion in creating his art pieces. Through his detailed pieces, he also showed a sincere respect for the beauty of the world around him, finding inspiration in simple items such as a soup can label.