Ana Gabriela Guevara

by Fany from Edmonton

Ana Gabriela Guevara with the Flag of Mexico. (http://www.atletismoenmexico.com)

Ana Gabriela Guevara Espinoza is really famous around the world as a runner. She was born on May 4th, 1977 in Nogales, Sonora Mexico. Ana has always been interested in sports. When she was in junior high and high school she made it onto the basketball team and her coach was impressed with her abilities. The team was entered into the state's final competition.

Ana has accomplished many things like in 1996 & 1997 she got her first gold medal and she was the champion of the 400 & 800 meter race in the Youth Olympics. In 1999 she competed in Japan and she got 4th place. Continuing to make her dreams come alive, she was able enter to the Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia. She didn't win, she ended up coming in 5th place. It didn't hold her back from wanting to accomplish more. In 2001 she went to Europe and after the competitions were over, she went to the World Championships in Edmonton and was in the finals. She won the bronze medal. In 2002 she won 1st place in the Golden League and the Grand Prix and she won 2 gold medals in the World Cup in Madrid, plus on May 3rd 2003 she broke the Spanish record for the 300 meter race, making this the best thing that could ever happen for a Mexican runner. In the world Championships of Paris she turned into the queen of the 400 meter race by completing the race in 48 seconds and 89 hundredths, the best record of the year. In addition, Ana won the Athletic Gala IAAF in Monaco for three consecutive years.

I chose Ana as my champion because she broke a lot of records, making Mexico proud and showing all the countries that Mexico has talent. She started like everyone from the bottom, she never gave up on her dreams and she kept trying until she got to the top. We are related because we are both Mexicans. I want to follow my dreams like she did and plus I want to make everyone proud, especially my family like she did with her family.