Alonzo Mourning

by Sabrina from Edmonton

ZO
ZO

Alonzo Mourning was an NBA basketball player that played for Miami heat for 16 years, but he is now retired. He is 39 years old and is 6’10" TALL! He was born February 8, 1970. He has 3 children and his nickname is “ZO”. Alonzo also underwent a kidney transplant. When he was growing up his family lived in a rural section of Chesapeake Virgina. He was an only child until he was eleven, when his sister was born. When he was 10 his parents got divorced. He began acting out. His parents and he went to a counseling session at the department of social services and that’s when he asked to be put n a group home for a while, and his parents agreed. At the end he wound up with a woman named Fannie Threet, a local hero, who as a foster mom helped raise forty nine kids in Chesapeake, and Alonzo was one of them.

I see Alonzo Mourning as a champion, because he does a lot of charitable work like he established Alonzo Mourning charities Inc, to help the development of families and children living in at-risk situations, and he provides service and support that enhance the life of youth and promise. He also launched Zo’s fund for life ….a campaign which seeks to raise fund for education, research and testing to fight local glomerubsclerosis. All the funds are allocated toward research to find a cure. Alonzo also funded athletes for hope, a charitable work that helps athletes get involved in charities and inspires people to volunteer and support the community. In 2009 a school board named a new high school in Florida in his honor. Mourning also funded the over town Youth center for unprivileged kids in Miami Florida. A major component of his charities is “Honey shine” Mentoring program that works to empower young girls to shine as women.

I chose Alonzo Mourning because just like him I like to help by donating my things to people who need it more then me, and I like to make the world a better place to live in. I also like basketball and like to watch it on TV. I also think he is a great definition for a champion!

Alonzo Mourning Charities - Creating the Foundation for Youth to Excel