Alexander Usyk

by Maryna from Kiev

(Zimbio.com)
(Zimbio.com)

I want to tell you about the famous Ukrainian sportsman, Alexander Usyk. He was born on January 17th, 1987 in Chernigov, Ukraine. He is a Ukrainian amateur boxer who won the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics in the heavyweight division. He is a southpaw.

He was 15, when he began boxing. Now he's 24 and the world champion.  In childhood, trainers didn't want to take Alex into their school of boxing, but one of them noticed his spirit and inner strength.

At the 2006 European Championships he won his first three matches against little-known opponents.  In the semi-final he was outclassed by Russian star Matvey Korobov.  Then he moved up to light-heavyweight and won the Strandja Cup in 2008.

At the 2012 London Olympics he became famous not only his sports achievements. When he won the gold medal, right on the ring, he danced the Ukrainian folk dance"Gopak".  I think that Alexander Usyk is a real patriot and he is proud of the whole country.

So for me, Alexandr Usyk is a real hero of Ukraine.