Alex

by Ashley from Glenbrook

“To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: leave no stone unturned. -Edward Bulwer Lytton

My hero is someone that is extremely special to me. My hero is my cousin Alex. He is so inspiring to me. Alex is my hero because he is in a wheelchair, but he lives his life to the fullest and nothing less. When someone says something about his disability or teases him or anything, he doesn’t care; it just doesn’t bother him, because he knows it’s not true. Alex is so brave and encouraging to me to do the same.

It started out when Alex was about 5 months old. He went to the hospital to get an injection/shot you have to get when you are born, but before he went to get the injection he wasn’t feeling well. A couple days later, he had an allergic reaction to the medicine and became paralyzed for life. That was scary for him, but also our whole family. Luckily, I wasn’t born yet. Once I was, I was very confused why he couldn’t walk. I just didn’t get it. Alex is now almost 18 years old. He has a good life. A good career. He loves photography. He really wants to be a photographer; I bet he will definitely achieve that dream.

Again, Alex is the most inspiring person I know, because of his problem. Every year, Alex’s family has a golf tournament that anyone may participate in. It is usually in New Hampshire or around there; it’s particularly for adults. My uncle (Alex’s dad), my dad, grandpa, and some other older family members participate in it. They have some winners, which earn some cool stuff. All the money that is earned/raised is placed in a fund for him. Everyone has a lot of fun at this important tournament.

Alex is also extremely brave. He needs to go to the doctors a lot because he has a problem with his spine. He accepts the fact that he has a problem and that will never change. I think you should never change to be like someone else, just like Alex. Which is so wonderful for him. Alex is great and also extremely brave. That’s again another reason why he’s my hero.

There are so many reasons why Alex is my hero. I could go on forever. He is the most inspiring and memorable person in my life, I hope he always will be. I love him so much, and I also know he will always be the same, brave, inspiring, funny, and so much more person.

Picture: http://images.google.com

Source: “Paralyzation while nearly awake.” Sleepnet.com. ©1995-2004. 4 March 2008 http://www.sleepnet.com/rest3/messages/208.html