Alex

by Brian from Dallas

Alex is the second-born of our three children, now grown, and has always shown the characteristics of being the second-born. We have jokingly called Alex the 'bad one' in the family during his 31 years on earth. Things do not come easily in life for Alex, as they do for his older sister and younger brother. Alex has had a share of legal troubles and substance-abuse issues. Through him, I have learned that such issues are not easily 'fixed', and will remain to challenge some people throughout their lifetimes.

Alex is intelligent and considerate. He has many friends, neighbors, and associates that think very highly of him, would do anything for him, and know that Alex would do the same for them. Alex is patient with old people, kids, and animals. Alex is an artist, and constantly collects and alters things creatively. As an artist, I think he feels that he needs to suffer, and so imposes much trouble upon himself, all subconsciously. Alex is not inclined to conform to society, and I suppose he suffers from some low self-esteem.

For the reason that things do not come easily to Alex, and the fact that he faces a headwind in just about everything he does, yet mostly perseveres, Alex is my hero.

I know that Alex is not a hero to humanity. He has not rescued anybody, cured any diseases, or made the world noticeably better. But a hero to me is someone that I always pull for as they struggle and overcome adversity. In this respect, Alex represents millions of normal everyday people who may be heroes, as they struggle with their own small impediments. Normal human conditions can affect any of us: Depression, alcoholism, kleptomania, self-loathing, poor physical health or handicaps, etc.

I hope anybody will read this and realize that they may have a hero in their own family; Someone for whom things do not always come easily, yet who continues to do their best, and who deserves your admiration.