Susan B. Anthony & Shirley Chisholm

by Alanis from Sheridan Tech

(https://school.eb.com/levels/high/article/2495 ())

Susan B. Anthony and Shirley Chisholm both stood for what was right. One fought for the right for women to vote. While the other fought to become the first African-American congresswomen. Both had their own fights and won allowing women to have a little more freedom and equality. Now if a little girl says wants to become president there is enough freedom for her to do so. Or if she wanted to change the world in a way that before was seen as impossible can now be seen as possible. These women made the U.S. a little more equal for both men and women. Susan B. Anthony and Shirley Chisholm are important and very influential women in history.

Susan B. Anthony was a suffragist, abolitionist, author and speaker who was president of the National American Women Suffrage Association. Shirley Chisholm became the first African-American congresswoman, and also became the first major-party African-American to make a bid for U.S. presidency. Both stood for what they believe in, and went against what everyone thought was normal. Susan B. Anthony fighting for the right to vote and Shirley Chisholm fighting to be on congress. They both were leaders, and ended up winning for what they fought for. Even though for Susan B. Anthony it was delayed by a few years. Chisholm was inspired by Anthony to fight and go against the normal to become the first African-American congresswomen. Both women shook up the United States in their own ways, but the same by the outcome being that there'll be a little more equality in the States.

There are many actions that one can take to follow the path that these women have laid out for us. An action I would take to promote the message that Susan B. Anthony would be to make sure that all the women I know take advantage of the right to vote. If it weren't for Anthony we would not have a say in who was president, even if you don't like the candidates still vote to show that what she fought for was not for nothing. Another action to promote her message would be for me to lead by example and show other girls, that when they reach voting age they should vote. I will make sure that I vote, and vote for the candidate that I feel would make women more equal to men. An action I would take to promote Shirley Chisholm's message would be to stand up against discrimination. People still to this day get discriminated against, by standing up for those getting discriminated on I could spread the message that everyone is equal and should be treated the same with the same rights.

(https://school.eb.com/levels/high/article/7782 ())

Both women are very important to history. They both symbolize acts that were fought for to gain. Susan B. Anthony became the voice for women who would not take the risk and speak out for themselves. Shirley Chisholm became another voice and fought for the women who wanted to be apart of congress and make life-changing decisions for the United States. Both women inspire women now to follow their dreams and to not give up. By following what they dreamed and believed women can vote and become part of congress. They show women that you need to stand for what you believe in if you want to see a change in where you are.

Susan B. Anthony and Shirley Chisholm are very influential women in history. Shirley Chisholm fought and became the first African-American congresswoman. She paved the way for future women to become part of congress. Now women of any ethnicity have the chance to help make the U.S. a better place. Susan B. Anthony was a suffragist and fought for the right for women to vote. She paved way for future women to actually think about who they want as president and put in their decision to help make the U.S. a better place. Both women were influential and important by inspiring many other women to follow them. By them following their dreams we are now able to follow ours.

Brittanica - Biography
Biography.com - Biography
Scholastic - Information
VoicesofDemocracy - Information