Arden McKay Cantwell

by Arden from San Antonio

We should always help others no matter what our situation is!
 This is me now!
This is me now!

My name is Arden Cantwell. I am 5 years old. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Leukemia. I am still going through treatment but I am doing great. During my two years of treatment I have made many friends to include my doctors...Dr. Estrada and Dr. Mike. I have been blessed with the best nurses and have met some lifelong friends who are fighting cancer just like me. My life is richer because of them!

Me when I lost my hair! No big deal!
Me when I lost my hair! No big deal!

Kids with cancer face many treatments that are scary and that make us sick. Sometimes we spend months in the hospital which cause us to celebrate our birthdays and important holidays away from our family. Our community is very lucky to have the Methodist Children's Hospital and many of the medical staff become a part of our family.

My friend Carly gave me her hair! She's the best!

During my treatment I learned very quickly the importance of the "Treasure Box". This was something that we all look forward to after our chemotherapy is complete, our spinal taps are done, or on those days we spend our birthdays at the hospital. Little toys and trinkets are what get us through...give us hope, and help dry our tears after our treatment. I watched as nurses took money out of their pockets to buy toys to replenish the treasures. How sweet, how holistic their care.

My 2nd annual toy drive last year! Awesome!

I decided one day that my mission was to ensure that the treasure box, birthday gifts and bone marrow transplant goodies never ran dry! I started an annual "Stuff the Trunk Toy Drive" for my hospital. This year is my 3rd annual toy drive. I hope to collect 1000's of treasures, toys, and money for goodies for the older kids.

Me when I was taking chemo
Me when I was taking chemo

My family calls me a hero......I'm just a five-year-old battling cancer who is blessed with many friends. I've learned at a very young age that no matter what your situation is, you should always reach out to others.