Roberta Bondar

by Nikki

My hero is Roberta Lynn Bondar. Dr. Bondar was one of the six astronauts selected in December 1983. After years of training, she became Canada’s first female astronaut when she flew on the Discovery Space Shuttle on December 1992. Roberta was born in 1945 in Ste Marie. She is my hero because she was the first Canadian woman in space and I think she was very brave.

Ever since Roberta was eight years old, she would build plastic models, of rockets, space stations, and satellites. When Roberta was a child she used to look up at the stars and wonder what earth would look like from space.

She has influenced my community and me by proving that men are not stronger or braver then women, and that you can do anything if you put your mind to it and that is a morel that I think everyone should live by.

If I could speak to Roberta I would congratulate her for going into space, ask her what it was like and if she was frightened.

When I grow up if I become a hero I want to become one that changes the world in a good way.

Canadian Adventures in Science and Technology: - a good sight with lots of information.
Nasa.com: - great place for space information.