Angels

Ben Breedlove

by Jill from Roseville

Ben Breedlove during his "This is my story' video.

Ben Breedlove posted a video on YouTube on December 18, 2011, a week before he passed, about his life, his heart condition, and how he cheated death three times. This video called, "This is my story" went viral around March 17, 2012 and even got attention from his favorite rapper, Kid Cudi. Kid Cudi spoke out to the Breedlove family, "To Ben's family, you raised a real hero, he's definitely mine. You have my love." Ben Breedlove was not only known as a hero to me, but for so many others too.

Ben Breedlove was born on August 8, 1993 in Austin, Texas and was a senior at West Lake High School when he died on December 25, 2011. Breedlove was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, HCM, when he was at a very young age. This condition causes his heart muscles to become thick which makes it harder to leave the heart, making the heart work harder to pump blood. This condition made life and activities a lot harder, as Breedlove quotes in the video, "I was never allowed to play all the sports that my friends did. It kinda sucks that I missed out on that part of my life. I really just hoped that I could the same as everyone else."

Ben Breedlove made such a difference in people's lives because even though his heart condition made it harder to do everyday things, he was still positive about everything. He made people believe that if you have something tough in your life, you just need to look on the bright side of things and be strong. Also, throughout his whole journey with his condition, he still believes that everything will be okay. In Breedlove's last line of the video he asks, "Do you believe in Angels or God? I do."

My definition of a hero is someone who, despite all the bad things in life, appreciates the good things and keeps moving forward no matter what's thrown at them. Ben Breedlove was such an inspiration because he was that type of person, but more. He still managed to go through life and not let his condition define him and still, through this day, is known as a loving, caring friend to all that have met him. 

Ben Breedlove (http://www.theseanydencounter.com/2012/01/ben-breedlove-rip-881993-12252011.html (The Seany D Encounter))

You may have a different idea of a hero, like someone who saves lives, or stops crimes, but in the end, we all have our reasons to why they made such an impact on ours and others lives. Ben Breedlove was such a motivation to me, with his heart condition and how he managed to go through life, day after day, and try not to think of all the bad things that have happened and what could happen. He is, and always will be, remembered as a man with bravery, kindness, and courage, who always believed anything, could happen.