Beverly Cleary

by Julie from DuBois

Children should learn that reading is pleasure, not just something that teachers make you do in school.
Beverly Cleary (bookpage.com)
Beverly Cleary (bookpage.com)

Beverly Cleary is a ninety-four year- old writer who has wrote plenty of books in her life which are enjoyable for all ages. I research on her in “Biography Today”. I chose Beverly Cleary as my hero because throughout the years I’ve read several of her books and I was interested in finding more information on her.

Beverly Cleary was never expected to become such a hero when she was born. Beverly Bunn Cleary was born in McMinnville, Oregon. She was born on April 12, 1916. Beverly’s parents are Chester and Mable (Atlee) Bunn. Beverly was an only child, so it’s a wonder why she is so good with kids.

Beverly Cleary reading (sgaissert.wordpress.com)

Beverly began grade school at Fernwood Grammar School in Portland. She attended U.S. Grant High School in Portland. Beverly received a letter from her aunt in California and attended a junior college, with free tuition. Beverly never made it to the big schools, but she still earned success.

In Beverly’s long hard career she has to have tons of highlights. Cleary recalls her fist attempt at writing. She had bought a house and had stored an old kitchen table in an empty bedroom. After the Christmas rush [at the bookstore of course] she found a quiet place to work and wrote her famous book “Henry Huggins”. She has been at it ever since.

First of all, Beverly Cleary is important to many people because of her extraordinary talent. Beverly Cleary has received plenty of awards. One of the awards she has received is the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Memorial Children’s Book Award which she won in 1958, 1961, and 1985. Beverly is also famous and important for her books. Some of her books are “Henry Huggins”, “Ellen Tebbits”, “Henry and Beezus”, “Otis Spofford”, “Henry and Risby”, “Beezus and Ramona”, “Fifteen”, “Henry and the Paper Route” and many more.

Beverly Cleary has lived a long life full of writing. She has written over thirty books. Beverly Cleary is still writing today. She hopes to continue writing and publishing more books.