Bessie Coleman

by Kallie from Lagrangeville

She did what she wanted! No hesitation
Elizabeth "Bessie" Coleman
Elizabeth "Bessie" Coleman

Bessie Coleman wasn’t the person who said, well I tried and that’s what counts. Bessie Coleman wouldn’t ever think of quitting. Bessie was stubborn but the good kind of stubborn. My hero is Bessie Coleman who flew planes.

She is known for being the first African-American to fly a plane with a pilot license. Coleman wanted to have her own flight school. She was poor throughout growing up so she needed a lot of money to start her own school.

What she did was go to lectures and churches to speak and raise money. Her biggest fan got inspired by that, she thought Bessie Coleman looked right at her during one of her lectures.

Bessie went for her goal. That is how I want to be remembered. I can now say if anyone, rich, poor, short, and tall, that anyone can do what they want. I hope I can have my own bakery or at least co-own one. Bessie helps me to achieve this goal in life.

Bessie is hardworking, courageous, and my role model! All admirable qualities! If Bessie wanted something she went out and got it!