Benjamin Franklin

by Arhyel from Shelton, Washington

Benjamin Franklin (www.elcivics.com/bio_benjamin_franklin)

Benjamin Franklin was born in Boston on January 17, 1706. His father, Josiah, was a poor soap and candlemaker. When Franklin was 12, he worked as an apprentice in the print shop of his brother, James. Young Franklin studied every day after work to achieve success in writing.

Franklin tried to live a perfect life. He planned his day-to-day life keeping records of activities he did during the day and then tried to amend his wrongs on the following day. In the early 1750's, Franklin's observations, including his kite experiment that verified the nature of electricity and lightening, brought him international fame.

Before his death at the age of 84, Benjamin Franklin wrote his autobiography. His death attracted a large crowd of mourners. With his death, America lost one of its most loyal citizens; a famous writer and scientist.

Abraham Lincoln, a man of valor<br> (aboutabrahamlincoln.com/)
Abraham Lincoln, a man of valor
(aboutabrahamlincoln.com/)

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. His parents died at an early age and left him with his aunt. As a kid, Lincoln strove to achieve his goals by reading his books and doing his best in his education. He developed a passion for community politics and after moving to Illinois, Abraham Lincoln became an outstanding lawyer and later, the sixteenth President of the United States of America. Abraham Lincoln was a man of integrity, courage, compassion, and perseverance. He had initiative and was a principled leader in his public and private life.

Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln have several characteristics in common; both were heroes that changed the lives of many people, including myself. I must say, both men were great examples to their fellow citizens.

As a hero, Benjamin Franklin has affected my life in many ways. I have spent most of my life trying to live a perfect life like Benjamin Franklin, keeping records of my day-to-day activities. I love my life and the way it has been since Benjamin Franklin became my mentor.

Benjamin Franklin - Gives the complete history of Benjamin Franklin
All Biographies page - Read more biographies of famous American heroes including Lincoln.
Abraham Lincoln's Biography - Tells of Abraham Lincoln's attitude towards the Civil War.
The MY HERO Project - MY HERO celebrates the best of humanity and features many heroes around the world.

Cayton, Andrew . "America: Pathways to the Present". America: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2000.

My name is Arhyel Christopher. I'm a proud citizen of Nigeria in Africa. I'm 16 years old and I was born in Nigeria. I am presently an exchange student to the United States of America for one year.

I like travelling, seeing new places, having nice experiences, meeting new people, and getting to know more about other cultures. I would like to travel around the US before returning to Nigeria.

When I was selected as the best student to represent my school as an exchange student in America, I planned to learn more about the US and use my knowledge to change my country. I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn more about The United States of America.