Bill Gates

by Gabriel from San Diego

(http://www.ribi.org/assets/_files/images/dec_08/hm__1229698854_Bill_Gates_polio2.jpg)

When we hear the name Bill Gates, the first thing that pops in our mind is money. However, this picture shows that Mr. Gates is not only the richest man in the world, but a man with a kind heart. Bill Gates has done so many good things in such a small amount of time, he is a hero. A hero is a person who goes out of the way to help others or someone who works extra hard to improve the world. Bill Gates is a hero because he sacrifices his money to improve society and expand knowledge to help mankind; but he also inspires others.

(http://www.mobilissimo.ro/img/mobilissimo/Image/Microsoft/Bill%20Gates/Bill-Gates-Speech.jpg)

Bill Gates was born on October 27, 1955 in Seattle, Washington. He married Melinda French on the island, Lanai. Bill Gates, also known as "the king of software," co-founded Microsoft Corp., the world's largest computer software company in 1975. At the age of 31, he became the youngest person to become a billionaire. Bill Gates’ ambition has made him the head of a robust, innovative software firm and, by some accounts, the richest man in America. His supreme accomplishment was designing and developing innovative software for the personal computer that helped make PCs the universally popular machines they are today. Ending his academic life, Gates dropped out of Harvard in 1975 and began his career in earnest as a software designer and entrepreneur. At this time, he and Allen co-founded Microsoft.

Bill Gates founded the Gates Foundation, a way for him to put his money to good use. According to the article written in eWeek, “through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, countries ranging from Haiti to Kenya have been helped. His organization is even offering $30 million in grant money for "innovative ideas for point-of-care diagnostics” ("10 Ways Bill Gates Is Helping the World And Microsoft 563156."). Bill Gates is trying and is helping the world even if it is small or big. All he wants to do, is good and make this world a better place for us. I support him and I think we should also help in the ways we can. That was just one of many things his foundation has done like: “The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation gave two $100,000 grants to the UCSD School of Medicine as part of Grand Challenges Explorations, an initiative to help scientists around the world explore bold and largely unproven ways to improve health in developing countries. The grants will support novel research to help develop new weapons in the fight to eradicate malaria.” (Glazer). The Gates foundation donates a lot of money to improve medicine, so doctors can find cures for disease and cancer. The Gates Foundation serves a wonderful purpose in today’s world.

Bill Gates has chosen to use his money to help others and the world. The magazine, eWeek, writes; “If Bill Gates has anything, he has money. And money is necessary to truly change things for the better. By pumping his own money into several different causes, including most recently the fight to help Haitians affected by the earthquake, Gates is sharing his immense wealth with the people who need it most” ("10 Ways Bill Gates Is Helping the World And Microsoft 563156."). Bill Gates has earned billions of dollars by creating Microsoft, he uses part of his money to donate it to the people who are in need, and for schools and other educational purposes. In the year 1999, Bill’s foundation decided to create a new scholarship fund to help minority students. “Together with his wife, Melinda, Microsoft founder and chairman Bill Gates on September 16, 1999, announced the creation of a new scholarship fund for minority students. With an endowment of $1 billion, the Gates Millennium Scholarships constituted the largest private donation to education in history” ("Bill and Melinda Gates Create $1 Billion Scholarship Fund, Largest Private Educational Endowment in History, September 16, 1999."). Bill Gates has done it, he has donated one billion dollars to help education grow, he wants us to take advantage of this large donation to our schools by learning and using the tools the teachers have given us. Since Bill Gates is one of the richest men, he can make a large impact on the world.

(http://www.dislikedpeople.com/games/files/bill-gates.jpg)

Bill Gates’ goodness and kindness inspires others and they begin to follow his doings. Bill Gates has influenced people, rich or poor, to donate to his foundation to help the world; for instance, “in 2006, for example, Warren Buffett offered about $30 billion in Berkshire Hathaway shares to help the efforts of Gates' foundation. The funds donated so far by Berkshire Hathaway have been used to help people across the globe. Gates knows his place. He knows that he can't do it alone.” ("10 Ways Bill Gates Is Helping the World And Microsoft 563156."). The Gates foundation has teamed up with other companies to set an example and help people, like the farmers. “This four-year, $11.5 million partnership will allow mango and passion fruit farmers to participate in Coca-Cola's supply chain for the first time. With a $7.5 million grant provided by the Gates Foundation to TechnoServe, $3 million provided by The Coca-Cola Co. and $1 million by bottling partner Coca-Cola” ("Coca-Cola partners to boost incomes of East African farmers."). Bill Gates has done so many good things to help our world, he deserves the title of hero.