Bill Gates

by Drew from Forest City

Andrew Carnegie once said, "Wealth is not to feed our egos, but to feed the hungry and to help people help themselves." William H. Gates is currently the world's most affluent person. However, I do not admire Bill Gates for his large amount of wealth. My reasons for admiring Bill Gates are unique. Gates epitomizes the qualifications of a hero through charitable giving, innovation, and success despite the expectations of others.

Bill Gates is largely involved in charitable giving. Gates has contributed over $28 billion dollars of his wealth to charities around the world. This shows Bill Gates' magnanimity in motion. Gates began his own charity organization called the "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation;" this charity is divided into four sub-divisions: the Global Development Division, the Global Health Division, the United States Division, and the Global Policy and Advocacy Division. Each category emphasizes collaboration, alterations, and risk taking. Without a doubt, Bill Gates is very generous with what he has gained through endeavors he has gone through and how he uses it for the well-being of others.

Another aspect I find impressive about Bill Gates is his large amount of success, in spite of what society has labeled as low expectations. This is contributed to the fact that he did not attend any type of school past high school. With no college experience, it is very hard to become successful in society during these times. "I think the college education is still a great investment in yourself, it's a time when you can broaden your horizons, spend time with other smart curious people - I'd encourage everyone to do it. It is not just the economic benefit it also helps you to be a lot broader," said Gates. With having a high amount of intelligence, Gates was able to forgo a college education and still succeed in the society which we live in. This proves Gates' ability to overcome what people would deem an unwise choice and become something great.

When Bill Gates and Paul Allen founded Microsoft, they did not foresee how far their idea would expand in years to come. Innovation comes out of the company every day, and I believe that this excites and helps to better the lives of people all around the world. Gates once said, "Microsoft is not about greed. It's about innovation and fairness." This quote proves Gates' altruistic dream to better the world through the resources he has been given. I believe Gates' innovation to be a heroic quality. Gates built Microsoft from the ground up; he was aware of the odds that were not in his favor and was still able to create the largest corporate empire in the world. Clearly, Bill Gates innovation generates excitement and this innovation can better the lives of many people.

A man is known by the company he keeps. Bill Gates is widely known for his bulging pockets and lavish belongs; however, I do not believe that most people are able to look past his lavish lifestyle. As stated before, Gates epitomizes the qualifications of a hero through charitable giving, innovation, and success despite expectations. I wonder how the world would be if Gates never had the knowledge and courage to strive for this goal.