Bill Gates

by Ryan from Hillsborough

"Microsoft was founded based on my vision of a personal computer on every desk and in every home, all running Microsoft software." -Bill Gates

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." This quote means/shows that a hero is a person who faces multiple challenges in his journey but cannot crack under the pressure and pushes through to stay alive, and keep up with competition. Bill Gates relates to this quote because his journey was so hard for him and he accomplished so much with the tools and knowledge that he had. The competition that he faced was trying to knock him out of business but he kept up with them and became one of the best in his field. Bill Gates is a hero because he fought through the toughest challenges for his time period, competition, and product and went on to creating the technology that we use today.

Bill Gates (http://www.open.edu/openlearn/money-management/man ())

Bill Gate has the ability to create a great product that people want to buy. He can come up with designs that are more efficient and useful than its competition. He is a wonderful entrepreneur and designer. He designed and invented Microsoft and Windows. We all know what these are, it is the most popular computer company and the most used computer program that we use today. Most computers that we own have Windows on them and Microsoft developed many kinds of computers. Even our phones and other portable devices have Windows on them. Bill Gates had a very large knowledge of computers and also was good at business. Because of these skills, he could jump ahead of the competition because people wanted to buy the better product most of the time. If it wasn't for Bill Gates inventing Microsoft, we would have had to wait a much longer time for the modern, more efficient technology that we have today.

In the time period that Bill Gates worked and designed in, there were not many reliable products that could do what he had done. The computers were slow and bulky and the programs limited the user to only one thing at a time. For Bill Gates to have invented these products with that much knowledge and so little tools to do it with, it shows how much he accomplished during his journey. When he was young, he showed an interest to computers right off the bat. At 15, he designed a device that controlled traffic patterns in his hometown of Seattle and also built a computer with the help of his friend, Paul Allen. Because of this interest in technology, one could foreshadow that he was going to go into a computer business. Although his brains were to his advantage, he still faced problems during his journey. One personal problem was the fact that there was a lack of useful tools for him to use while he was inventing these products. He had no Google or any other search engine to use to find out what he had to do to invent and build a computer. He was limited to his own knowledge to create the products that he did. Another problem was that people were not looking to buy computers at that time. Because of the lack of efficiency and slow usage, the public just decided not to spend their money on something that they could hardly use. Because of this, Gates had to prove to the public that his product was worth buying. He did this by making something that was quicker and made more sense to the people to buy -so they did. The last problem that he faced was that the other companies were trying to be better than his company. They tried making faster browsers that could do better than his and they even tried taking him to court for controlling the other computer companies. They did this because Microsoft was forcing computer companies to include Internet Explorer on the computers thus excluding the use of any other browsing company. Although Bill Gates faced these challenges with other companies trying to be better than his company, he still found a way to produce an effect, or another product that would keep his company on top.

Microsoft Logo (http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/10/24 ())

You do not achieve something for just you, you achieve it for someone else. Bill Gates did just this. He did not only care about what was helping him, he wanted to help out society as well. He created a better way to research, communicate, and make using the computer easier for others. The quicker computer could help people do more than one thing at a time and get things done quicker. Without this speed and efficiency on our computers, we would be left wondering, how are we supposed to get anything done? This is what people were asking themselves before Bill Gates came along. They would sit and wait for 15 minutes just for their computer to start up. They could only open one thing at a time, hence the word Windows, you can see multiple things at once. Because of his hard work for the society, it shows that Bill Gates cared about people getting things done in a shorter amount of time. He also respected the other companies that he faced but he knew that if he tried hard enough that he could beat the them.

Bill Gates changed the whole computer industry. In that time period, people rarely used the computers because of their poor speed and convenience. Bill Gates showed a great interest to change the computer and to have one in every house in America. In this day, most all the computers that people own either have Windows or have something to do with Microsoft. If it wasn't for Bill Gates, our world and life that we live in now would be so much different because of how greatly changed technology has become. There is technology everywhere in our daily lives and we can't avoid it. It is in cars, stores, restaurants, schools, houses, and mainly in our pockets. This is why Bill Gates inspired me to never give up on what I believe in. He also taught me that if there is ever a challenge that I come across during my journey, that I should believe in what I can do and know that I can do it better. Because of his willingness to be the best and make the product that people want to buy, I can call Bill Gates my hero.

Unknown. "Bill Gates. "Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 2011. 1/1

Unknown. "Bill Gates born William Henry Gates III. "Hutchinson's Biography Database, 2011. 1/2

Stevenson, Keira. "Bill Gates." Biography. 2005. 1/2

Unknown. "Bill Gates and Microsoft. "Monkeyshines on Math,Money,and Banking, 2002. 127