Bethany Hamilton

by Kaylee from San Diego

(http://coolspotters.com/ ())
(http://coolspotters.com/ ())

"I focused on the things that were really important to me at that time--my faith in Jesus Christ, my family, being grateful that I was still alive and that I could survive such a traumatic event."("Bethany Hamilton").  Bethany Hamilton began surfing when she was very young.She was very successful from the start,everyone knew she had a talent.  She and her friend,Alana Blanchard surfed together a lot and always had a lot of fun.  "I am a youth leader on the Island of Kauai. I have been here doing ministry for 10 years and Bethany was a precious young girl in my youth group. We did discipleship together and would surf together and just have a great time hanging out. After she was attacked by the shark her brother Noah called me after he got the news. As I picked him up to head to the Hospital, I was asking God to help me understand how he could have a plan in this happening. As Noah, held his head out the window, the Lord began to minister to my heart. That is where the Lord brought Jeremiah 29:11 to my mind. From that moment on I felt God wanted me to really help support and walk Bethany through this time of her life."(Bethany Hamilton). Bethany was close to her church pastor and did many church events,which she looked to during her accident.One day while surfing in Hawaii, Bethany Hamilton was attacked by a shark causing her to lose her left arm.You would think a teenage girl would think her whole life was over, but to Bethany, she wasn't going to let that stop her.Bethany Hamilton stayed determined to achieve her surfing dream which began when she decided to conquer the fear of getting back on her board with one arm."Just a month later, she was back on her board. In 2005, she won her first national title, and turned professional in 2007. Now 21, Hamilton is the subject of Soul Surfer, a movie based on her life." ("Billy Graham")When she succeeded, she inspired thousands of people who were amazed with her story. Bethany Hamilton is an inspiration to people today. "Today Bethany is a professional surfer and her story has been turned into a new feature film, "Soul Surfer," which was released April 8, 2014. Bethany says she and her family are very pleased with the movie, and the way it portrays their faith and the beauty of surfing."("NPR")She is very happy with how the movie turned out and believes it will show her faith and her story. Bethany Hamilton is a hero because she never gave up on her dream of becoming a surfer and is now a very happy and successful surfer.Bethany Hamilton is a hero because she stayed strong throughout the tragic event that changed her life forever, she displayed lots of courage, she is brave,and she is very successful with both her surfing career and her life which makes her a hero.

"I just kind of grew up with an amazing lifestyle of knowing God and having a personal relationship with him and being able to surf some of the best waves in the world," Hamilton says. "And then I started competing and was doing really well as an amateur surfer."("Bethany Hamilton"). Bethany Hamilton's faith is what helped her through her accident. She is religious and was very close to her local church pastor before the accident. After the shark attack, she was in the hospital for a few weeks and struggled to do regular tasks but her faith is what helped her get through it. "Growing up in a Christian home was a huge blessing for me. At a young age I was introduced to what Jesus Christ has done for all of mankind. Through his death and resurrection on the cross, He provides the forgiveness of our sins and eternal life. This gives me hope in the future that I have as a Christian. As rough times come my way, like when I lost my arm to the shark, and as life throws challenging curve balls, I take joy and am grounded in God's promises found in His Word, the Bible. I still hold fast to his truths today."(Bethany Hamilton)  Bethany Hamilton has always been dependent on God. She always has looked for help from him. He inspired her to work to continue her dreams as a professional surfer. Even through the tragedy, Bethany Hamilton remained positive."I focused on the things that were really important to me at that time--my faith in Jesus Christ, my family, being grateful that I was still alive and that I could survive such a traumatic event."(Speed, Marie).  Bethany Hamilton showed that she is faithful by saying that during the time of her accident, she kept her mind on the thought of her family and her faith.  Bethany Hamilton's faith in God is what helped her remain positive throughout the tragedy.

(http://www.ambwallpapers.com/ ())
(http://www.ambwallpapers.com/ ())

Bethany Hamilton showed bravery by getting back to surfing after the shark attack. After the shark attack and throughout her recovery, she could have given up. "She made it to the hospital, survived a tremendous loss of blood, and her story went around the world, the way shark attack stories always do. But the difference in Bethany Hamilton's story is what happened later, when she stopped being the shark attack survivor and started being the inspiration."(Speed,Marie) This shows that Bethany is brave because losing your arm to anyone would be a situation to panic in, but shockingly, young thirteen year old Bethany Hamilton was pretty calm throughout the traumatic experience. She was able to continue surfing and created her career and fan base by showing off her unique talent of surfing with only one arm. Bethany Hamilton's bravery has led to her becoming a successful surfer with her only having one arm. "Bethany Hamilton has become a source of inspiration to millions through her story of determination, faith and hope. During a surf session on Halloween morning 2003, Bethany was attacked by a 14-foot tiger shark, which bit off her left arm and seemed to end her career as a rising surf star. Just one month after the attack, Bethany returned to the water and just over a year later won her first National title. In 2007, she realized her dream of surfing professionally"(Bethany Hamilton). Bethany Hamilton has showed that she is brave by getting back on the board. She has continued her life as normal. She didn't feel bad for herself, she just kept moving on towards her future as if nothing happened. Not only has Bethany Hamilton succeeded in surfing, but she also has succeeded in her personal life. "I've been thinking about it, but I often forget that I have one arm," she said. "When I think about it, a squirming baby and changing the diaper ... I think how I live life, just adjust and adapt to different things, especially things that are a lot easier with two arms."(UPI). This shows that Bethany is brave because she is having a baby and she is scared that having one arm will affect her skills as a mother, yet, she is still having a baby and is excited about it. She doesn't let her fears get in the way of her future. Bethany Hamilton showed bravery before, during, and after the shark attack and even to this day she shows bravery as she prepares to become a mother.

Bethany Hamilton is successful because she never gave up on her dreams and continued her dream as a professional surfer and she even started her own family, she still has her friends and now a husband. Bethany Hamilton has proven that she will be a successful surfer regardless of her disability. She has won many awards since the shark attack including the most recent first  Place  SURF N SEA PIPELINE PRO - North Shore in  Oahu, Hawaii (Bethany Hamilton).  She was determined to be successful in spite of her disability. In addition to her surfing awards, she also won awards for her determination and popularity."In July 2004, Hamilton won the ESPY Award for "Best Comeback Athlete." She was presented with a special courage award at the 2004 Teen Choice Awards."(Speed,Marie). Even though she lost her arm, she continued to do the things she loved and succeeded to be the professional surfing star she is today.Bethany Hamilton is a hero because she became a successful surfer even though she only had one arm. To lose your everyday life of surfing and being creative on waves, enjoying the ocean - that's scary to me," she says. "It was essential to at least try surfing again and get out there and see how it went." Luckily for Hamilton, her resilience paid off. She is now living out her dreams as a professional surfer. "It's exciting just to see how life works out," she says, "and how good can come out of bad situations."(NPR) Bethany Hamilton has always been dependent on God. She has looked for help from him. She does charity work and continues to inspire others with her inspiring story.Bethany Hamilton is a fighter, she didn't let anything stop her from achieving her dreams even when it all seemed impossible. Bethany Hamilton is successful because she didn't let the accident get in the way of her future. She still became a professional surfer, she got tons of sponsors, she has lots of charities, and she's starting her own family.  "Three weeks after her accident, Hamilton was back in the ocean, surfing again, this time with a modified board that made it easier to paddle with one arm. Before long, she began surfing competitively again, and now travels around the world for surfing competitions and personal appearances. In July 2004, Hamilton won the ESPY Award for "Best Comeback Athlete." She was presented with a special courage award at the 2004 Teen Choice Awards. In 2005, Hamilton won the NSSA National Championships and in 2008, she began competing full time in the Association of Surfing Professionals World Qualifying Series (WQS)." ("Speed Marie")" Even though she lost her arm, she continued to do the things she loved and succeeded to be the professional surfing star she is today. "Three weeks after her accident, Hamilton was back in the ocean, surfing again, this time with a modified board that made it easier to paddle with one arm. Before long, she began surfing competitively again, and now travels around the world for surfing competitions and personal appearances. In July 2004, Hamilton won the ESPY Award for "Best Comeback Athlete." She was presented with a special courage award at the 2004 Teen Choice Awards. In 2005, Hamilton won the NSSA National Championships and in 2008, she began competing full time in the Association of Surfing Professionals World Qualifying Series (WQS). "She is successful because she's starting a family, is also considered a professional surfer. She hasn't let the idea of losing  her arm get in the way of her future.

(http://www.gospelherald.com/ ())
(http://www.gospelherald.com/ ())

Bethany Hamilton is a hero because she never gave up on her dream of becoming a surfer and is now a very happy and successful surfer. Bethany Hamilton is known for being attacked by a shark while surfing and then continuing her life to be the amazing, talented human she is today. She was brave throughout the process of getting to the hospital and dealing with her situation. She couldn't wait to get back on the board but she had to wait a few weeks which made her upset. When she first got back out in the water she kept falling. After a few tries, she was able to get herself up on the board and surf. Everyone was super happy and impressed especially Bethany.People thought she would never be able to get back up on the board but she proved them wrong. She eventually became a professional surfer and continues to inspire thousands of people every day. Bethany Hamilton was always a talented surfer but one tragic day, she was attacked by a fourteen foot tiger shark, causing her to lose her left arm while surfing the waves of Hawaii with her friends. After she was going to be okay, everyone thought her life was going to be different, she never once denied her ability to do something. She didn't pretend that the accident never happened, she let it become part of her life. She showed the world that she didn't give up on herself by getting up on the board again when everyone thought that wouldn't work out. She also showed everyone by becoming who she is today. She inspires me because she never gave up on her dreams when things became difficult. She always stayed positive and never doubted herself. Because she stayed faithful, she remained confident that nothing could stop her. Bethany Hamilton is successful because she never gave up on her dreams and continued her dream as a professional surfer and she has started her own family, she still has her friends and now a husband. She still does charity work and continues to inspire others with her tragic story. Bethany Hamilton is my hero because she never gave up on herself. She inspired me to never give up on myself, it may not have been surfing or anything to do with the water, but I had a fall off my horse and I was terrified but I thought of Bethany Hamilton and got back on. She remained positive throughout her troubled times. She is now successful all over the world and inspires others to succeed.

Bethany Hamilton. "Bethany Hamilton | Profile." Bethany Hamilton. Bethany Hamilton,

2015. Web. 04 May 2015. .             

"Bethany Hamilton: Soul Surfer." Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. NPR Staff, 9 Apr.

2011. Web. 01 May 2015. .

Hamilton, Tom. "The Fire and Faith in Her Eyes." Guideposts. Guideposts, 02 Mar. 2011.

Web. 08 May 2015. <http://www.guideposts.org/hope-and-faith/surfer-bethany-hamilton-has-strong-faith-after-shark-attack>.

NPR. "Never Mind The Sharks: Surfing's In Her 'Soul'" NPR. NPR, 9 Apr. 2011. Web. 04

May 2015. .

"Pro surfer Bethany Hamilton expecting first child." UPI NewsTrack 10 Feb. 2015. Biography

in Context. May 2015.

"Q&A Exclusive: Surfer Bethany Hamilton Talks Shark Attack, World-Wide Traveling, and

Hollywood Hunks." Do Something. Do Something, n.d. Web. 04 May 2015. .

Speed, Marie. "Getting back on the board: nothing could keep young Bethany Hamilton from

pursuing her passion as a surfer--not even the fear of another shark attack." Success Feb. 2010: 36+. Biography in Context. 6 May 2015.