Bethany Hamilton

by Molly from Quakertown, New Jersey

Me, quit? Never!
Behany Hamilton (www.nationalgeographic.com)

I think Bethany Hamilton is a good hero because when she was 13 she lost her arm in a shark attack. This shark was a 14-foot tiger shark. Although she lost her arm, Bethany Hamilton still surfs out in the ocean just as she did before. This did not crush her spirit for surfing. I think this is absolutely amazing.

Bethany Hamilton (the.honoluluadvertiser.com)

Bethany has also won many awards and championships since the shark attack. Most people, including me, would probably be scared to go back out and surf again, but Bethany wasn’t. Bethany’s parents first put her on a surfboard when she was just a toddler. By the time she was seven she could surf without her parents help. Bethany’s parents started to sign her up for contests and competitions when she was eight years old.

Bethany Hamiton (www.news.bbc.co.uk)
Bethany Hamiton (www.news.bbc.co.uk)

When Bethany was five years old she decided to make a personal relationship with Jesus and stay with him for the rest of her life. By the time Bethany was thirteen she was well respected in the amateur surfing world. In the summer of 2003, Bethany placed second place I the Open Women’s Division of the National Scholastic Surfing Association NSSA National Championship and her future looked promising.

Bethany Hamilton (www.wetasschronicles.com/.../BethanyHamilton.jpg)

Bethany Hamilton is also a hero because she never quits. There are signs on some of the beaches around where she lives that says, "Me quit? Never" with a picture of Bethany. This just shows how many people she inspires. I think that is amazing!

Bethany Hamilton - Bethany Hamilton's official Website
Heart of a Soul Surfer - A Movie about Bethany Hamilton
My Space - Bethany Hamilton's My Space page